Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Automatic Transmission Service

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Automatic Transmission Service

Always been told the best way to service an automatic transmission is to have the system flushed completely using a fluid transfer machine...however local shop wants $330+ to do this service along with replacing the filter and pan gasket.

Another shop says that the flush service is not necessary at all and want $220+ to drop the pan, drain what fluid comes out, replace the filter & pan gasket then top it off with fresh fluid.

What is your opinion? Which do you prefer? Why?

I can most likely handle droping the pan, changing the filter & pan gasket myself and use the money saved towards the next item on the Jeep to do list. Opinions on if this is a DIY service...

As always, thank you!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

If you can drop the pan, drain the oil and re-seal the pan then it's a DIY service. It isn't any more complicated than that.
How many miles on the trans? What's the past maintenance history, fluid changes, etc?
If it has a lot of miles and the fluid hasn't been changed- do it via several successive pan-drop and refills instead of a full flush.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Absolutely do it yourself. Those prices are outrageous!
Old 11-26-2012, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Radi
If you can drop the pan, drain the oil and re-seal the pan then it's a DIY service. It isn't any more complicated than that.
How many miles on the trans? What's the past maintenance history, fluid changes, etc?
If it has a lot of miles and the fluid hasn't been changed- do it via several successive pan-drop and refills instead of a full flush.
Had my XJ for a little over a year...216,XXX miles now...motor was replaced at 190,XXX with used motor with 90,XXX but I think the transmission is still the orginial. Was told by a local shop that did a look over for me that the only issues found were cracked exhaust manifold (knew that, next on list) and the transmission fluid was very dirty.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by belvedere
Absolutely do it yourself. Those prices are outrageous!
Exactly, it is mostly labor that is why I would rather DIY it. So the pan is pretty easy to drop and filter is easily changed on the XJs? I've done the service on some other vehicles where it was easy and some not so easy.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:55 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998

I believe the XJ is pretty straight-forward. Here's what I'd do if I were you: Do a few drain-n-fills using just the drain plug (no pan drop). Drive it for a few days between each one. When you do the last one, drop the pan and change the filter.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by belvedere
I believe the XJ is pretty straight-forward. Here's what I'd do if I were you: Do a few drain-n-fills using just the drain plug (no pan drop). Drive it for a few days between each one. When you do the last one, drop the pan and change the filter.
Exactly what I was thinking minus the driving a few days between each fill but good idea. Thanks!
Old 11-27-2012, 06:26 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by G.Simpson
Exactly what I was thinking minus the driving a few days between each fill but good idea. Thanks!
Do a drain and fill using 3.75 quarts of dexron III.

Drive it for a few weeks and do it again. You will be fine. Try to score some new drain plug gaskets for the plug at the dealer or your local tranny shop. Otherwise you may have a drip.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988

okay, working at a shop the transmission service is the best service. In my opinion the pan drop is not necessary! The machine hooks up to one transmission cooler line and uses the pump inside the transmission to exchange the ATF. It works on a diaphragm, as the old comes in if replaces it with new with no added push or force that gives the flushes a bad name in the old days.

Now speaking on the XJ front, I have access to this machine for free and have choosen to simple be prepared to drain the ATF out of the plug a few times. I capture the old fluid and replace it with new. Do this til its clean.

Easy: drain, refill, drive, recheck, frown, drain, refill, drive, recheck, frown, drain, refill, drive, recheck, smile

By the way a trans service with cleaner chemicals at my shop is 170.00 without chemicals and just the fluid and labor is 140ish. This is just the flush not touching the pan and gasket.

Moral of the story: You have a drain plug...its easier than changing the engine oil!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by maybe2fast
okay, working at a shop the transmission service is the best service. In my opinion the pan drop is not necessary! The machine hooks up to one transmission cooler line and uses the pump inside the transmission to exchange the ATF. It works on a diaphragm, as the old comes in if replaces it with new with no added push or force that gives the flushes a bad name in the old days.

Now speaking on the XJ front, I have access to this machine for free and have choosen to simple be prepared to drain the ATF out of the plug a few times. I capture the old fluid and replace it with new. Do this til its clean.

Easy: drain, refill, drive, recheck, frown, drain, refill, drive, recheck, frown, drain, refill, drive, recheck, smile

By the way a trans service with cleaner chemicals at my shop is 170.00 without chemicals and just the fluid and labor is 140ish. This is just the flush not touching the pan and gasket.

Moral of the story: You have a drain plug...its easier than changing the engine oil!
Great story. And your method works perfectly.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:12 PM

I love this forum! Thanks everyone!

I'm gonna buy about 12 quarts or so of ATF so I can drain, fill, drive a few times before the last pan drop to change the filter then fill. I plan on changing the pan gasket and drain plug gasket as well.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988

warning on the pan gasket. The transmission dip stick tube is not very fun to deal with, so if its not leaking, I would just drain and refill. Get an old washer fluid jug and drain the old ATF into it and then you can figure out how much to add (as a start). Once full, drive up to the beer store and grab a case of beer and drive back home and redrain and refill. do this if you were not happy with the color on the dip stick once you get back from the beer store
Old 11-28-2012, 07:27 AM

It's 3.8 quarts to refill. Double check yourself though.
And I totally agree with the beer store part.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by maybe2fast
warning on the pan gasket. The transmission dip stick tube is not very fun to deal with
Could you give me some details on this? Its the original transmission and given the track record of the previous owner I doubt the filter has ever been changed.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:39 PM

It's not a filter. It's a screen. Don't fret about it. Drain. Fill. Repeat.

Quick Reply: Automatic Transmission Service