Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Automatic transmission issue, need help/ideas on diagnosis

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2013, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Automatic transmission issue, need help/ideas on diagnosis

I just bought my first jeep a couple of weeks ago, its a 1999 cherokee 4.0. From what I know it is all stock (and it is going to stay this way) and has ~155k on the odo.

I believe that something is wrong with the trans, I just don't know what. The two things that I have noticed are:
1: When you shift from reverse into drive, there is a very noticeable clunk in the drive line, and the shift is instantaneous. The second the shifter hits drive, BANG it's in gear. Only when going reverse to drive, is the clunk real bad. Park to drive, and neutral to drive it still seems to shift pretty firm but its nowhere near as bad as reverse to drive.

Going from drive to reverse, neutral to reverse, or park to reverse is all just fine though.

2: I have noticed that sometimes, the trans/drive line will clunk on the 2-1 downshift as you are slowing to a stop.

Transmission fluid looks good and is filled to the proper level. I checked out the engine and trans mounts, they are both ok. All U-joints are tight as well. I have not checked backlash on the rear end, although I am fairly certain that given the symptoms that improper backlash is not the cause.

I have not yet pulled the drive shaft to lube the splines on the slip yoke but again as with the rear end backlash, I don't see this being the problem anyway.

Any help/ideas are welcome!

Thanks!
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

The shift is always instantaneous at least it better be there is no "soft" mode. Remove the driveshaft to check the u-joints, other than that look for slop in the bearings (pinion & carrier) then R&P themsevles. If the vehicle has been subjected to a lot of burnies the spider gears get chewed up and eventually grenade.

ETA:
Check first to make sure all the fasteners are present through the engine mounts to the block.
Then, to check the mounts:
lift the hood, jump inside and fire it up. Stand your foot on the brake pedal, shift in to gear, then stand on the gas. Does the engine try to flip itself on to the ground?

Last edited by Turbo X_J; 10-07-2013 at 05:01 PM.