Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Auto Hubs Sometimes Working??

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2010, 02:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 98 I6 FI
Default Auto Hubs Sometimes Working??

When i first got my jeep i put it on the lift and ran it in four to ensure that all my tires were spinning. And they all did. When i took it out the first time i was watching as the front tires slung clay. But this last weekend i was in a grass field and the front tires did not spin at all. So i went back and put it on the lift to see if my hubs blew, and guess what...they were spinning. What could cause this? Maybe they are blown and just the friction is tuning them when its in the air or really sloppy mud? ANY IDEAS???
Old 06-20-2010, 07:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Vacuum disconnect very common problem, look in thw write up section there is a thread on how get around this
Old 06-20-2010, 11:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

If you have an open differential, and you do, just watching for slinging mud is not really a good test. One tire can stop and the one you can't see spins. The only real way to check on the ground is to jack up one front tire while engaged and if it does not spin, then it is engaged.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 98 I6 FI

okay thanks. i will check into the vacuum leak and jacking up one side. thanks for the info
Old 06-21-2010, 08:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

just do away with the vac disco, it will save you many headaches. Just lock it in and never think about it again.

If you have open diffs front and rear, when your stuck only the passenger side rear and driver's front will spin. just the nature of open diffs
Old 06-21-2010, 09:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Assuming you have a stock Dana30 front axle you do not have Hubs that engage/disengage. D30's Use a stub shaft and a unit bearing. Basically it;s a large bearing that bolts to the knuckle and the wheel is mounted to it. A stub shaft passes through the the unit bearing hub and not only connects to the inner axle shaft but it also keeps your unit bearing hub together.

Never drive on a unit bearing hub that does not have a properly installed/torqued stub shaft in place.

Yes a non-functioning vacuum Disconnect will prevent the front wheels from spinning. A locker in place of an open differential will allow 1 wheel to be fuly engaged in the event of a vacuum disconnect failure.

To better understand why neither wheel was spinning you ned to watch the following video. once the intermediate shaft became uncoupled the only thing moving inside your axle was the spider and side gear on the disco side of the axle.