Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

anyone out there that can help please?!?!,

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2013, 05:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default anyone out there that can help please?!?!,

hows it going guys im new to the jeep game so please bare with me I'm sure there are plenty of threads about this so I'm sorry... I recently got a 99 Cherokee sport I noticed the jeep was dripping a little oil didn't worry about it because I know it's a typical thing for jeeps since my wife's jeep does it too and hers is stock never off roaded or anything. the oil drips are coming from the oil pan area I checked the plug and it wasn't that I saw online people say it could be the oil filter adaptor but I didn't see any oil around it so I wasn't too sure also on my jeep and my wife's the oil pressure gauge drops once the jeep is warmed up and when they come to a stop idk if it could all be related or if the oil pressure sensor is bad and causing it to drop but any help with the dripping oil and bad oil pressure would be greatly appreciated! thanks guys!
Old 03-24-2013, 05:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Fluids leak down check for oil around valve cover then work down ,as for pressure how far is low ,
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 PM

I was planning on looking around the valve cover but the guy I bought it off of did an oil change the night before and spilled about half a quart of oil while filling I believe him because it is all fresh oil as for the drips they're dirty old used oil and with the oil pressure it drops all the way to zero and the check gauges light comes on but the oil is right where it should be so I know the oil isn't low
Old 03-24-2013, 10:20 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Your oil pressure will by low (10-15)at idle then jump as soon as you increase rpms.. If you could pull valve cover, maybe you could sere if there is tons of sludge which might be an indication your all dirty in there.. Some might suggest ruining a bottle of seafoam in there then change oil after you run it hard or for afew dozen (or more) miles...
Old 03-24-2013, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

10-15? That is either ridiculously low or my hot idle is high.

I'm at 40psi for hot idle and 60psi while cold/driving.
Old 03-24-2013, 10:57 PM

Originally Posted by XJriot
10-15? That is either ridiculously low or my hot idle is high.

I'm at 40psi for hot idle and 60psi while cold/driving.
What viscosity oil are you using?
Old 03-24-2013, 11:12 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by ericsvb
What viscosity oil are you using?
This could spiral out of control quickly, there must be a thread about this every week. There are too many variables involved with oil pressure for any two XJs to match perfectly. 13 psi and above at hot idle, 37-70 at above 1600 rpms are the specs on the 4.0, if you are within that, you're likely doing good.
Old 03-25-2013, 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by playbass

This could spiral out of control quickly, there must be a thread about this every week. There are too many variables involved with oil pressure for any two XJs to match perfectly. 13 psi and above at hot idle, 37-70 at above 1600 rpms are the specs on the 4.0, if you are within that, you're likely doing good.
Well said. This Is what I was thinking too..