Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

anyone figure out the heating problem?????

Old 05-24-2009, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default anyone figure out the heating problem?????

hey everyone. i just got my jeep and its a 99 sport but it blew a engine so i havent got it running yet. but anyways ive heard that the biggest problem with jeeps is the overheating. i was wondering if anyone has figured it out. i think its a fuse and the fan isnt kicking on. let me no what u think
Old 05-24-2009, 02:56 AM

Year: 1999 / 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

There is no fuse for the fan. There is a viscous clutch that needs to be replaced every 25K miles to make sure that it is operating correctly. A failed fan clutch will cause overheating and damage to the radiator if it fails completely.

The electric fan is for A/C and high temps. My '92 elec fan only turns on with the A/C. The main engine fan keeps the engine cool enough for me. But, I replaced the radiator, water pump, hoses, belts and a complete flush/fill with green antifreeze and DISTILLED water mixed 60/40 for me.

Hmm.. The BIGGEST problem is when the antifreeze doesn't get flushed and replaced on time causing the radiator and such to plug up or fail due to galvanic corrosion.

Since our XJs are famous for running 150,000 or 200,000 miles, the entire cooling system MUST be replaced at some point in it's life. Probably twice at 200K! Figure new radiator, water pump, hoses and heater control valve.

Idiots like my 92 XJs previous owner who never changed ANYTHING during the 225,000 miles are mostly to blame for the awesome failures of the Jeeps.

The Jeep 4.0L motor does very VERY well if maintained properly with the correct fluids, schedules and parts.

Last edited by diskman; 05-24-2009 at 03:00 AM.
Old 05-24-2009, 09:56 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by diskman View Post
The Jeep 4.0L motor does very VERY well if maintained properly with the correct fluids, schedules and parts.
Hell any of the I6 motors(I know ford had two version of it) were bullet proof as long as you you know, changed the oil and things when it was supposed to be changed.