Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

any way to make a stock jeep a little fast with stock parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2010, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default any way to make a stock jeep a little fast with stock parts

im just seeing if there is anyway to make my jeep a littler faster with stock parts i have a 1998 jeep cherokee 4.0 and i have put cold air intake, spacer. i have ported the throttle body and spacer
Old 09-22-2010, 04:06 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: big 6

a lot of vehicles have a throttle body coolant line that runs through them. idk if jeeps do, my camaro did and if so you can bypass that. the line keeps your tb warm so to bypass would keep it cooler which means cooler air. this is dependent on if you have one, you may not. if so giver a go. wont help much but every little thing adds up
Old 09-22-2010, 04:46 AM

Default racing

im just looking on finding sum good ways to make it faster right now i can beat a chevy 5.3 v8 by 2 cars lloking for good cam
Old 09-22-2010, 05:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994

Yup. 4.11 gears.
Old 09-22-2010, 07:55 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 of course

You're racing your Jeep? That would be like if i took my car to the trail and wondered why it didn't make it very far.

In all seriousness. For more power, catback exhaust, intake kit and a larger bore throttle body and spacer from this guy ( http://www.strokedjeep.com/tbody.html ). And I think you can get power programmers for a bit of added power. I don't personally know about cams for these things and I don't think anyone makes superchargers.

You could always do a rear mount turbo setup. You'd probably have to figure out tuning for it and get larger injectors but wouldn't be to terribly difficult to setup.

Last edited by MyNameIsNick; 09-22-2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:01 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 of course

Well nevermind, considering you have a basically identical thread open currently and said you already have most of those parts, you're probably SOL.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 I6

Stroke it, might not beat the chevy.

Get a different vehicle. Its a jeep, not a racecar.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by blackout98
right now i can beat a chevy 5.3 v8 by 2 cars lloking for good cam
Not buyin' it.

Video of a legal race or it didn't happen.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:23 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Merged your two threads... please dont do duplicates.

Your asking about modifications for track use correct? We dont allow illegal street racing discussions.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:31 AM

Year: 1989

Originally Posted by OverlandXJ
Merged your two threads... please dont do duplicates.

Your asking about modifications for track use correct? We dont allow illegal street racing discussions.

Shouldn't allow threads about racing a Jeep anyway.. (unless its a SRT-8)
Old 09-22-2010, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by NxtGenCowboy
Shouldn't allow threads about racing a Jeep anyway.. (unless its a SRT-8)
Or Alice.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Engine: 4.0L HO

im just seeing if there is anyway to make my jeep a littler faster with stock parts i have a 1998 jeep cherokee 4.0 and i have put cold air intake, spacer. i have ported the throttle body and spacer
Old drag racer's rule of thumb is, for every 100 lbs shed, shed 1/10th sec in 1/4 mile time. Stay stock on tire diameter, complete tune-up and stay up on all regular maintenance. U've done some things to the intake.....maybe a little exhaust work next. The XJ does have enough power to make a "one tire fire" on pavement. Some type of traction enhanced rear diff would get power to both wheels.....a little less smokey show, a little more gitty up and go.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:47 AM

Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Dont let some of these guys let you down on the racing part these jeeps are quick and i have raced my 93 several times. Is your jeep 2wd or 4wd?
Theres not much that can be done to this car to make faster only quicker of the line to about 50 or 60 after that we drag a piano behind us.

As far as upgardes go, you have pretty much all you can do. New headers will help with a better flowing exhaust as well.

Also the turbo setup is an option but takes quite a bit of work to do since the kits are pretty expensive. They have superchargers but still $$$. And for cams they dont make cams for our 97-up they change the cam design.

Lil things to help free the engine, but its only personal preference. Eliminate clutch fan and add Elec. Fans, if you dont use a/c thats another peice you can take out and by a bypass pulley. Injector swap to neon 703s, 784s or ford #19 injectors. Better atomization of gas, smoother idle, lil better acceleration.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 98jeepsrt6
Dont let some of these guys let you down on the racing part these jeeps are quick and i have raced my 93 several times. Is your jeep 2wd or 4wd?
Theres not much that can be done to this car to make faster only quicker of the line to about 50 or 60 after that we drag a piano behind us.

As far as upgardes go, you have pretty much all you can do. New headers will help with a better flowing exhaust as well.

Also the turbo setup is an option but takes quite a bit of work to do since the kits are pretty expensive. They have superchargers but still $$$. And for cams they dont make cams for our 97-up they change the cam design.

Lil things to help free the engine, but its only personal preference. Eliminate clutch fan and add Elec. Fans, if you dont use a/c thats another peice you can take out and by a bypass pulley. Injector swap to neon 703s, 784s or ford #19 injectors. Better atomization of gas, smoother idle, lil better acceleration.
See, but you have a background and understand what is needed to get power efficiently.

Most people, and it looks like OP too, dont know much about it.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:58 AM

Engine: 4.0 L6 Srt

Originally Posted by Diesel
See, but you have a background and understand what is needed to get power efficiently.

Most people, and it looks like OP too, dont know much about it.
Yea i understand im not putting anyone down, for the same im not all good when it comes to the lifts and things but i understand the concepts.

Im building my jeep to go "faster" and trying to work every lil detail into factor. Im going with a turbo setup possibly twin or large single. The guys that have single t3/t4 turbos get great low end torque but choke the motor on the highway if the try and hit top speed.

Larger turbo, low end lag top end boost.
Twin t3/t4 turbo, both low end toque and top end.
Just dont know how well the head can handle that pressure. So thats my stopping point until i either test it or figure out the answers i need.

Quick Reply: any way to make a stock jeep a little fast with stock parts