Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

any idea how much this rust repair would cost?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default any idea how much this rust repair would cost?

i'm looking at purchasing another xj but i'm worried about the rust issue around the windshield. it's like this on all 4 corners of the windshield and another spot along the top in the middle. there's no other rust on the jeep. i looked in every door sill, undercarriage, door etc. for some dumb reason i only took these two pics.

any idea how much this rust repair would cost?-wsyzu.jpg
any idea how much this rust repair would cost?-cdv8n.jpg

the body and paint are in fantastic condition for a 91. the interior is very clean as well, no rips or tears or sagging. dash is in mint condition too. it's a laredo with all the power options including seats-overhead console etc, 242 tcase, 155k miles. $1600. how much do you think the rust repair would be?
Old 04-14-2012, 04:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

It rally depends on where you live. Different are going to run you different amounts.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:55 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Try contacting a good auto glass company.I just had my windshield replaced and it came with a new seal and the guy sanded and primed the spots.Only cost me my $100.00 deductible from my insurance or probably less than that if you just want a new seal if glass is ok.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:58 PM

Year: 1999

Ouch did not see rusted thru hole. Still may want to contact glass company and repar rust holes yourself.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:13 PM

i'm in southern california. i also do not know the slightest thing about rust repair that extreme.
Old 04-14-2012, 08:20 PM

That is a tricky one. Does the windshield leak at all in that area? What can happen is that if could actually lift up the glue holding the windshield in and cause a water leak. At the very least i would expect it to be behind the windshield. it seems that rust in that area always tends to be more then expected. I would plan on having to have the windsheild removed to fix it properly. You maybe able to fix what you see but more then likely it has migrated underneath already. Up hear in Il. you rarely see an xj with out some sort of rust at the front corner of the roof or around the windshield.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:12 PM

the xj is available through a local auction, so i don't know if the windshield leaks. the glass is discolored near the rust spots. i'm okay with removing and/or replacing the windshield, it's the rust that scares me. i'm sure it can be fixed easy, it's just the cost to repair it might offset the low price of the vehicle to begin with. there are a few other jeeps around the same price range, it's the laredo options along with the great paint condition that draws me to this one. i have a 93 cherokee sport that i want to replace. even though it's a second vehicle, i find myself driving it more than my ram and would like to move up to a more optioned model.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:40 PM

Location: Clutier IA, where the jeep lays in wait, Pensacola, Florida, where im stationed.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee

Or you just say screw it. It's a jeep not a Beamer. Pull the windshield out sand it down, paint it, and then seal the holes with silicone so it doesnt leak. And then you got a nice jeep that you fixed for around 10 bucks. Just my 2 cents. Do what you want though.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: ERH 4.0L 16 Power Tech

Originally Posted by FMXFreak
Or you just say screw it. It's a jeep not a Beamer. Pull the windshield out sand it down, paint it, and then seal the holes with silicone so it doesnt leak. And then you got a nice jeep that you fixed for around 10 bucks. Just my 2 cents. Do what you want though.
Considering what you paid for the Jeep, what it would be worth when the rust was repaired "correctly" I'd go with the $10.00 repair as well.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:37 PM

this thing has been sitting since 2006 and needs a fuel pump, possibly cracked fuel tank. also the registration hasn't been paid since 2006 (this vehicle was donated to charity and is being resold) at $1600 for the jeep + registration + fuel pump + fuel tank + all fluids done = not worth it, right? an xj in decent condition of this year and mileage goes for over 3500 around here..
Old 04-20-2012, 03:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L H.O I6

Had a similar problem. It was rusting all the way around the windshield and pretty deep too. Mines leaked and the water funked up the headliner and would drip on my lap while driving. Had it repaired last month $250.00. Some Body/Metal Fabing need to be done, and now it looks great.