Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another "whats my vibration thread"

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Another "whats my vibration thread"

How's it going guys, new to the Jeep world, picked up a pretty clean '97 sport bone stock with 155k. Stock height, 235/75r15 tires. No rust at all original southwest vehicle, just needs a little paint work as the clear coat is beat.

It runs and shifts great, but has this annoying vibration I'd like to figure it. It definitely feels like a driveshaft vibration as its a very fast, low grumbling type of vibration.

It only occurs during acceleration, worse at 30-35mph, but is always there when your into the gas pedal. Cruising or decel its not really there, except slowing down its somewhat noticeable again at 30-35mph. Cruising at 65 down the road its pretty smooth as long as its just part throttle, not accelerating.

Removing the rear driveshaft and driving in 4x4 does get rid of the vibration completely.

So far I've done the following with no improvement: New mopar transmission mount, Both rear drive shaft U joints, flipped driveshaft 180*, greased the slip yoke.

What do I look at next? Didn't feel any play in the pinion of the rear when I had the driveshaft off, but it does howl a wee bit. I didn't feel any wheel bearing play when I had it jacked up. Axle wrap? I might set up my gopro underneath and see if the axle is twisting much. The leafs aren't flat, but im sure they're a little worn with 155k miles. The slip yoke does have a tiny bit of play on the splines, I greased it but not sure if the yoke splines could be worn? Output shaft of the transfer case had no play.

Thanks for any input, otherwise totally loving the jeep life. Gonna do a 2-3" lift and 31's in the near future but I'd like to get this figured out first.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:00 AM
CF Veteran

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee

You might want to think about changing the transmission mount and the engine mounts at the same time.
1 crapy 1 of the 3 can cause problems through the whole vehicle...
Old 04-12-2019, 12:36 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

If you feel it in the seat of your pants lean towards drivetrain. Feel it in your hands lean towards steering components. A small pry bar under those engine mounts will show a bad pretty easy. Check bolts at bell housing and flex plate. Harmonic balancer could be an issue. Another one is more for vibration in steering is warped rotors, but usually you will feel that braking hard too.
Old 04-12-2019, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by BillyBoy
You might want to think about changing the transmission mount and the engine mounts at the same time.
1 crapy 1 of the 3 can cause problems through the whole vehicle...
Yeah the drivers side motor mount looks a little beat, certainly does have some play. I figured with the rear driveshaft removed getting rid of the vibration that would count out motor mounts, but who knows maybe with the rear drive shaft in, the torque from acceleration could be stressing the motor mount? That's next on the list to replace.

Originally Posted by Oswalla
If you feel it in the seat of your pants lean towards drivetrain. Feel it in your hands lean towards steering components. A small pry bar under those engine mounts will show a bad pretty easy. Check bolts at bell housing and flex plate. Harmonic balancer could be an issue. Another one is more for vibration in steering is warped rotors, but usually you will feel that braking hard too.
Forgot to mention, 2 of the flex plate bolts were a little loose causing a noise, I tightened them up which did get rid of that noise but the vibration wasn't effected :/ I'd say its definitely a rear driveline vibration because you feel it seat of the pants for sure, if you have your arm resting on the center console you can really feel it through there. And removing the rear driveshaft did get rid of the vibration.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Don't discount the possibility of a bad tire or two on the rear axle. I chased a vibe for over a month on my previous Jeep (a TJ) before discovering it was ENTIRELY a bad tire. You couldn't tell by looking at it, but it was definitely causing a bad vibration. Lesson of that day -- A 12-year old tire isn't necessarily good just because it still has the little hairs on the tread.
Old 04-12-2019, 01:37 PM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I'm leaning towards the splines on the driveshaft yoke.
Old 04-12-2019, 09:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 369 Likes on 329 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by Skyler350
It definitely feels like a driveshaft vibration as its a very fast, low grumbling type of vibration.

It only occurs during acceleration, worse at 30-35mph, but is always there when your into the gas pedal. Cruising or decel its not really there, except slowing down its somewhat noticeable again at 30-35mph. Cruising at 65 down the road its pretty smooth as long as its just part throttle, not accelerating.
I've got the same thing, including most noticeable at 30-35 MPH. Did my spline and put in new U-joints, definitely needed both. Got new tires cause one was square. Mounts are good by eyeball. Need an alignment cause I had both axle assemblies out but I don't think that's it. Next I'm going to check my axle bearings cause there's a little something on the left that periodically makes a noise but the brakes look OK.

Post any updates you have.
Old 04-13-2019, 03:29 PM
IJM
CF Veteran

Received 275 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1998

How's it going guys, new to the Jeep world, picked up a pretty clean '97 sport bone stock with 155k. Stock height, 235/75r15 tires. No rust at all original southwest vehicle, just needs a little paint work as the clear coat is beat.

It runs and shifts great, but has this annoying vibration I'd like to figure it. It definitely feels like a driveshaft vibration as its a very fast, low grumbling type of vibration.

Removing the rear driveshaft and driving in 4x4 does get rid of the vibration completely.

So far I've done the following with no improvement: New mopar transmission mount, Both rear drive shaft U joints, flipped driveshaft 180*, greased the slip yoke.

What do I look at next? Didn't feel any play in the pinion of the rear when I had the driveshaft off, but it does howl a wee bit. I didn't feel any wheel bearing play when I had it jacked up. Axle wrap? I might set up my gopro underneath and see if the axle is twisting much. The leafs aren't flat, but im sure they're a little worn with 155k miles. The slip yoke does have a tiny bit of play on the splines, I greased it but not sure if the yoke splines could be worn? Output shaft of the transfer case had no play.

Thanks for any input, otherwise totally loving the jeep life. Gonna do a 2-3" lift and 31's in the near future but I'd like to get this figured out first.
Does it do it around 75-80 as well?
Old 04-13-2019, 04:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Are you sure it isn't engine related?
Old 04-13-2019, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

OK I'm golden! Vibration is gone!

Left wheel bearing had a little more than expected play, the right less so.

Free up the seal (8.25 axle):

Blow the whole thing out with your puller:

Pound in the new bearing and seal (individually) using one of the old bearings as an installation tool:

I slather up axle bearings with wheel bearing grease to insure they don't spend ANY time unlubricated. It'll eventually dissolve into the gear lube. Instead of 75W-90 I'll have 80W-95. Whatever.

IIWY I'll take another real close look at your bearings. It doesn't seem like they need to wear an awful lot to create a racket (BTW mine looked fine by eyeball, no burning or physical damage).

Last edited by Dave51; 04-14-2019 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-25-2019, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by IJM
Does it do it around 75-80 as well?
During cruise at that speed, no surprisingly. High speed doesn't seem to make it worse
Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
Are you sure it isn't engine related?
Cant say that it isnt for sure, but it runs good it doesn't feel like a miss. I know my motor mounts are in bad shape i'm going to be doing those soon
Originally Posted by Dave51
OK I'm golden! Vibration is gone!

Left wheel bearing had a little more than expected play, the right less so.

Free up the seal (8.25 axle):

Blow the whole thing out with your puller:

Pound in the new bearing and seal (individually) using one of the old bearings as an installation tool:

I slather up axle bearings with wheel bearing grease to insure they don't spend ANY time unlubricated. It'll eventually dissolve into the gear lube. Instead of 75W-90 I'll have 80W-95. Whatever.

IIWY I'll take another real close look at your bearings. It doesn't seem like they need to wear an awful lot to create a racket (BTW mine looked fine by eyeball, no burning or physical damage).
Wow cool that you got yours figured out. Did you notice much play in the wheel with it off the ground? I know I checked mine briefly, didn't recall any play but I should check again. My rear also does have a "howl" once its up to speed. Nothing crazy but noticeable enough to hear its there.

Also any recommendation on motor mounts? I assume the cheap anchor parts store brand ones aren't worth it, not looking for any crazy expensive ones either. I don't do any hard wheeling or anything
Old 04-26-2019, 03:01 AM
CF Veteran

Did you notice much play in the wheel with it off the ground?
I should have measured it, but the bad one was maybe 3/32 - 1/8", the less bad 1/16". Quite noticeable tho when I compared the new one on the axle when it was still out of the car.

Also any recommendation on motor mounts?
OEM, unless somebody has some other thoughts. There was that recent thread on issues with Brown Dog Mounts, but that was on a 2.5.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:10 PM

Received 50 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee

During cruise at that speed, no surprisingly. High speed doesn't seem to make it worse

Cant say that it isnt for sure, but it runs good it doesn't feel like a miss. I know my motor mounts are in bad shape i'm going to be doing those soon

Wow cool that you got yours figured out. Did you notice much play in the wheel with it off the ground? I know I checked mine briefly, didn't recall any play but I should check again. My rear also does have a "howl" once its up to speed. Nothing crazy but noticeable enough to hear its there.

Also any recommendation on motor mounts? I assume the cheap anchor parts store brand ones aren't worth it, not looking for any crazy expensive ones either. I don't do any hard wheeling or anything
Hey go check your brake light switch. It is near the gas pedal. Let me know if you can't find it or need a picture. I assuming the 97's have them.

Both my Jeeps (89, 94) developed a weird hadd stutter shake at 45mph. But if you stayed on the pedal it would smooth out if you drove past it. It turns out the brake light switches were stuck. Wiggled them loose and it went away instantly. They control the kick in of the torque converter at 45 mph, at least on pre 97's. It's worth a shot since it's free.
Old 05-08-2019, 05:29 AM
CF Veteran

Skyler350 any updates?

FYI I tried to fix some additional low end vibration, shudders and clunks. My pinion angle was about 13 after a small lift, and after reducing it to nearly 0 using a 6 degree wedge (may have to cut back to 4) I now have pronounced vibration up to about 30 MPH.

This is like trying to level a table by sawing off the legs.

It's too bad vibrations et al couldn't be added to the OBD II menu.

Did you explore that? Wondering if your driveshaft (and mine) is out of balance.
Old 05-08-2019, 06:14 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Dave51
after reducing it to nearly 0 using a 6 degree wedge
After measuring it again this AM after driving around a bit, I got about 2 degrees. So that's where it's going to sit.

Time to get out the hose clamps.

j/k, need to check flexplate next.

Last edited by Dave51; 05-08-2019 at 06:35 AM.

Quick Reply: Another "whats my vibration thread"