Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another Turn Signal Help Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 08:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Another Turn Signal Help Thread

Hate for this to be my first post, but I just bought a 1996 cherokee and have been stumped with a wacky turn signal problem. I noticed when I bought the jeep that the right turn signal was flashing real fast which I seen I had no front turn signal on the right side. I checked the bulb and it was good, the left side worked fine. When I switch on the turn signal I checked for power at the wires and there is none, but when I turn on the parking lights both wires have power. I ore apart the side that was working, and could not beleive it even worked, the bulb was very corrodied inside the socket. I got it out and applyed a bit of dielectric grease to the inside, put everything back together then tried it out, it still worked fine, but I can't and get the other side to work. Went out tonight to check if the hazards work, now only thing that works is the back turn signals, no front turn signals at all.

Does this sound like I may have a bad ground somewhere, or is it something else ??
Old 04-30-2013, 12:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

Actually cleaning the sockets, and anything that's suppose to touch, maybe with 220 emery paper will work better than just greasing...

A cool trick to check any ground. Go right off the battery negative with a long wire. If you touch that to the metal of the bulb socket, and it works, you found a bad ground.

Blinking fast might be a sign of a short, maybe in the front if it was not working. When it quit the fuse might have finally gone. I'm not so familiar there. See what you can see of the wires with good light, look for where it might be rubbing on an edge of something.

Never a bad idea to take a look up behind the rear bumper...got trailer wiring?

Having someone watch the light,(or a mirror) while you giggle wires here and there might help. Welcome to the forum!
Old 04-30-2013, 04:53 AM

Went out this morning, and now I have no headlights, I should have just went with one turn signal out. Now I created more problems. Any ideas ??
Old 04-30-2013, 04:56 AM

Engine: V6

Yes I do look under the wiper fluid container I found a wiring harness that was fried on mine
Old 04-30-2013, 05:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Test for ground also at sockets after checking harness as suggested .
Old 04-30-2013, 07:53 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

there is a large gang connector near the airbox on the driver side. mine is horribly corroded and in need of replacement and will occasionally cause those same problems. a test light volt meter and wiring diagrams are a few key essentials to get yourself.
Old 04-30-2013, 09:45 AM

Thanks for the replies, I will mess with it when I get off work.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by XJRed96
there is a large gang connector near the airbox on the driver side. mine is horribly corroded and in need of replacement and will occasionally cause those same problems. a test light volt meter and wiring diagrams are a few key essentials to get yourself.
Xjred96, you hit it right on the button, the connector under there was total crap. I rewired basically everthing in the plug that kept breaking off from corrosion. This is a temporary fix because I did not have enough connectors to keep it clean and eliminate the connector. Had to use wire nuts and tape, only thing I had available, but now everthing works. It took me awhile to figure which wire went where, but finally figured most of them out. I still have one hot wire, that is hot still with the key off, not sure what it is for ?? i will have to find a wiring diagram online somewhere.

Thanks to all that offerd advice, I look forward to being on the forum for a long time, this is my 3rd jeep that I have owned. Also, does anybody have any recommenadtions on what kind of connectors to use to keep the connections working and fairly clean install ??
Old 05-01-2013, 01:43 PM

Engine: V6

I have the same hot wire
Old 05-01-2013, 07:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

The best rout is to slide shrink tubing up the wire first, solder it, then slide the shrink tube back, (after it cools!), then apply heat to shrink it on. You can even get "creative" and slide more of a larger size on there for a second layer.

A tip, don't heat the shrink tube unless its where you want it.

Last edited by DFlintstone; 05-01-2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old 05-01-2013, 07:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: Gas

Guess I will be dicking with that same connector tomorrow to see if that's my issue.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:14 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Oh No -- My left turn indicator light glows steady (no flashing)(today aft. Cow Mt.). Haven't looked at it yet....tomorrow....dark now...tired....sleepy.... Also, my horn has stopped working (look for finger). That was before the front bumper up-grade, maybe 3-4 months ago

Thankx guys !
I know some places to start looking now.

DFlintstone-- How far away are you from me? Went to Cow Mt. today...Perfect. Do you go? Wha-sup doggie? Chow. (I know- lab?...I was saying "bye-bye".)
Old 05-02-2013, 05:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by HCCAFan
Guess I will be dicking with that same connector tomorrow to see if that's my issue.
Try your hands might get better results ...lol...
Old 05-02-2013, 07:50 AM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I have seen at auto parts stores large connectors that hold 10/12 wires haven't used one myself... never had a need until now, but that may be your best bet... go browse through the electrical connectors... its going to be a little tedious matching the wires up on either side but thats your best solution... and probably get some di-electric grease. otherwise while you are in the isle you may find some other usefull parts that may provide a remedy... heat shrink over solder connections with some new wire loom will be the strongest however that removes the convience of being able to disconnect the wiring if the need arises.
Old 05-02-2013, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by XJRed96
I have seen at auto parts stores large connectors that hold 10/12 wires haven't used one myself... never had a need until now, but that may be your best bet... go browse through the electrical connectors... its going to be a little tedious matching the wires up on either side but thats your best solution... and probably get some di-electric grease. otherwise while you are in the isle you may find some other usefull parts that may provide a remedy... heat shrink over solder connections with some new wire loom will be the strongest however that removes the convience of being able to disconnect the wiring if the need arises.
I didn't realize they sold an aftermarket harness connector, I will have to look into that route. Thanks !!

Quick Reply: Another Turn Signal Help Thread