Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another Resistor...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2013, 08:24 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Another Resistor...

So this is the second time I've replaced my blower motor resistor. The old one I pulled out looked like complete crud, so I gave it the benefit of the doubt. However, the one after ran for a few months, then died. Now this one just went out. It worked on and off for about a day or two, then dead.

My fan works on 4, and only 4. The heat blowing out can really only be considered luke-warm. The blower motor isn't making any funny noises, but I'm starting to think it's the cause for all this mess.

I haven't had time to really look at the blow motor unit. I know the connectors going to the resistor are in good shape (no cracks, frays, or melting) because I've been down there twice already. I'm almost positive the switch on the dash is in good shape. It's been running the fans fine for months between swapping out the resistors (one last fall, and another the winter before that). If it were the switch, I'd imagine it would just die and stay dead.

So I'm thinking maybe the blower motor. I've noticed I'm getting an unusual amount of shocks every time I leave my XJ as well. It seems to coincide when this issue occurs... so I'll looking for bad grounds too.

I'll be hitting this issue on Sunday. If anyone has some suggestions please let me know.

98 Jeep XJ.
Old 11-20-2013, 08:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm no real help, but I have a story. Once the cooling fan in a Tempo was blowing fuses. Ran fine, no apparent problem. I got up to the highest fuse I could find, 50-60 amps, still blew.

Turned out even though it's motor seemed fine it was drawing a nutty amount of current.

You generally won't get shocked by 12 volts. Static maybe?
Old 11-20-2013, 09:14 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by DFlintstone
I'm no real help, but I have a story. Once the cooling fan in a Tempo was blowing fuses. Ran fine, no apparent problem. I got up to the highest fuse I could find, 50-60 amps, still blew.

Turned out even though it's motor seemed fine it was drawing a nutty amount of current.

You generally won't get shocked by 12 volts. Static maybe?
Well it's a static shock every time I touch the outside of my door to close it. I don't think I generate that much built up static just sitting in the seat... Or maybe I do.
Old 11-20-2013, 09:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0

Yes, a blower motor drawing too much current is generally what takes out a resistor.