Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

another question about gears

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2009, 11:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 H.O.
Question another question about gears

i would like to find out what gears i have stock but do not want to pull my diff covers is there somewhere i can look to find out. i have a 91 cherokee 4.0 H.O aw4 231 i did however find a tag on my diffs telling me i have factory limited slip if that makes any difference im new to this site and this is my first cherokee so im a little lost on info for it. i didi try to do a search on the forum but didnt com up wit much for stock gears just upgrading to lower gears.
Old 04-30-2009, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by sideshow_joe
i would like to find out what gears i have stock but do not want to pull my diff covers is there somewhere i can look to find out. i have a 91 cherokee 4.0 H.O aw4 231 i did however find a tag on my diffs telling me i have factory limited slip if that makes any difference im new to this site and this is my first cherokee so im a little lost on info for it. i didi try to do a search on the forum but didnt com up wit much for stock gears just upgrading to lower gears.
Here ya go:

(Remember!!! Safety First, Last and always!!! We'd rather talk at you than about you.)

Block a front wheel and jack the rear up like you're changing a tire, either side will do. Make sure the E-brake is OFF!!! (which is the reason for the blocks / chocks on the front wheel) and try to turn the tire with the trans or T-case in neutral.

If the wheel turns pretty easy then you have an open axle, if not some form of limited slip is installed.

If it turns then checking you ratio is a matter of marking a U-joint cap and counting the number of times you see it spin past as someone turns the wheel one full revolution. Divide the number by two and estimate the decimal (example: a 4.11 axle will turn the U-joint nearly 8 1/4 turns by this method)

If it doesn't turn, jack up the whole axle and set on jackstands. Mark the U-joint as before and turn a wheel one turn. This time no dividing is required, but you'll still need to estimate the decimal. (example: a 4.11 ratio will spin the joint 4 and just under 1/8 turns). The reason for the stands this time is you have to have both wheels off the ground to turnm the wheel.

Hope this helps.

Budd
Old 04-30-2009, 11:44 PM

thanks i will do that tomorrow i do definatly have limited slip did try that trick as soon as i found the tag on the diff. didnt know you could find out the gearing like that
Old 04-30-2009, 11:45 PM

is it rare to have the limited slip? like i said new to the whole xj thing.
Old 05-01-2009, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by sideshow_joe
is it rare to have the limited slip? like i said new to the whole xj thing.
It is an option that was selected by personal preferences. Some have it, some don't as a result.

If you plan to off-road quite a bit, then it'll be handy, but, in all honesty, I have limited slip in my 80 Dodge pickup (aka, Sure-Grip) and it can be a handful on icy streets. I don't have it in my 88 XJ and what little off-roading I do, just getting to a fishing hole, I don't miss it a bit.

Budd