Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

another horrible running jeep thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2010, 10:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default another horrible running jeep thread

My question: I have 2 XJ's...a renix 89 and a 97 HO

I have a renix cherokee and there is a site listing all the resistances/test procedures for the renix sensors. It's a wonderful resource.

Is there any such resource for my new to me 97? It ran wonderfully when I got it a few days ago, but it's recently developed an extremely rough idle. It's dumping fuel like it's nobody's business. When i take it out it will clear up after a few minutes and smooths right out. Pull it back into the garage thinking I'm a master mechanic and it starts to get rough again after a moment. There's also a distinct noticeable increase in air flow in the air box during all this.

I changed plugs/wires/cap/rotor after it started to bog out a little at light throttle. It seems to have gotten progressively worse. I cleaned the IAC, and there's no change in idle at all when I un plug it when it's running rough.

I was really hoping to start swapping some of the lift parts around tonight, but it looks like I'll be racking my brain trying to get this diagnosed instead.

I don't have a scanner at my disposal at this very moment and I'd like to check things before I start throwing parts at it.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

You need to pull codes. cycle the key 3 times to on, not start but on, you should get codes in your speedometer layout.. Then find a obd2 code book online, and match code.
Old 03-22-2010, 11:42 PM
Seasoned Member

http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/dodge/
Old 03-23-2010, 02:18 PM

I got to autozone today and had the codes pulled.

A bunch of transmission codes, but the trans shifts fine...so that's of little concern to me.

The 2 that really made some sense were the short/ground for INJ1 and the CTS code. Got the CTS while I was there, only to find out that it doesn't fit the harness. The motor was installed by a chrysler dealer some time back...and it appears to have a 00/01 cts plug. So, I'll get that traded out and do the swap while I'm at work later on. I figured the #1 injector went bad, but it tests out fine. I had a heck of a time getting the connector off, and it appears that was the issue. Connector goes on and off smooth now and my idle and low end misfire have cleared up completely.

I was also missing all of the left marker lights, which appears to be caused by a missing fuse. Looks like I'm going to have a little more cleaning up to do than I thought.

Thanks for the encouragement, I've been building cars for quite some time and switching to Jeeps is like re-learning everything.
Old 03-23-2010, 05:47 PM

Well, the harness wasn't the issue as it started acting up again after I posted. I changed the cts out and noticed that the manifold was wet at the number 1. Seeems that the injector was locking up. Tossed some gas in with a can of seafoam and it appears to have cleared up so far. I'm going to start looking for some injectors tonight as I don't trust these any longer.
Old 03-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Seasoned Member

Glad you figured it out.
Your right, Ive been building cars for a long time. Turbo cars, drag cars, offroad trucks, and so on. But when I got the jeep I was sorta lost, only took me a few weeks to figure it all out though.

Go to the JY and pick up some old 5.0 injectors, or I heard you can use some neon injectors.
Goodluck.
Old 03-24-2010, 12:55 PM

I'm going to pick up injectors for both next time I hit the JY. It's starting to warm up around here, now I just have to wait for some of the mud to dry up since I want to pick up an 8.25 rear.