Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Another 1998 XJ CPS Issue? Really?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 08:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Another 1998 XJ CPS Issue? Really?

So, I've got a 1998 XJ 4.0, 4x4 with crank, intermittent start issue. No codes related to issue, but a few codes related to tranny/transfer case. gauges all work, including fuel level, tach, etc. new battery, new battery connections. after much troubleshooting, and a few parts thrown at it, crankshaft position sensor, CPS, seems to be the real issue. "original" CPS had sensor harness chewed through. replaced with BWD replacement, no start. parts cannon shot with new coil, cap, rotor, used PCM and camshaft position sensor. put original PCM and camshaft position sensor back in, bought "new" Mopar CPS (ebay, package dated 7/14/2005) and it started and ran beautifully for 15 minutes or so, died, and would not restart. tried starting again after cooling off for a day and started and ran for another 15 minutes or so. i drove it around the yard beautifully, but died. tried BWD CPS and started, but ran rough and tach bouncing around all over the place. tried Mopar CPS again, and ran great until it got hot, again. Mopar CPS tests at 487K ohms, BWD CPS shows OL on terminals B and C. any help appreciated.
Old 07-19-2018, 10:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

What are the tranny/transfer case codes?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:55 PM

i guess my ELM 327's won't pull codes with BWD CPS in place. Connects right up on my work van.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:28 PM

Ok, so my Torque app and ELM 327 still wont pull codes from Cherokee. Reinstalled Mopar CPS, and Cherokee started and ran for 5 seconds, then no start. Methodically moved wire harness, and tried starting. So besides a faulty BWD CPS sensor, also discovered that the BWD ignition coil i installed was faulty, as well. The 2-pin connector was not making good contact, so when i tried to push connector on coil further to attempt to lock it in place, the Cherokee started. wiggle the wiring connector in the slightest, and it shuts off. To top it all off, World Class starter bit the dust. Pulled Mopar parts off a '99 engine i had, and replaced Chinese parts, and Cherokee started up and ran for over an hour while gently driving around the back yard. BTW - ordered a real scan tool for future repairs. No more BWD, Standard, Driveworks, OEM, or any other crappy electrical parts for this kid.
Old 07-23-2018, 03:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

Originally Posted by swedepowr1
Ok, so my Torque app and ELM 327 still wont pull codes from Cherokee. Reinstalled Mopar CPS, and Cherokee started and ran for 5 seconds, then no start. Methodically moved wire harness, and tried starting. So besides a faulty BWD CPS sensor, also discovered that the BWD ignition coil i installed was faulty, as well. The 2-pin connector was not making good contact, so when i tried to push connector on coil further to attempt to lock it in place, the Cherokee started. wiggle the wiring connector in the slightest, and it shuts off. To top it all off, World Class starter bit the dust. Pulled Mopar parts off a '99 engine i had, and replaced Chinese parts, and Cherokee started up and ran for over an hour while gently driving around the back yard. BTW - ordered a real scan tool for future repairs. No more BWD, Standard, Driveworks, OEM, or any other crappy electrical parts for this kid.
Glad to hear you got it resolved!