Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Am I just digging my grave deeper??

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 12:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Am I just digging my grave deeper??

I have had the DW for 7 months now. I have learned to manage it.(sounds like some disease haha). It happens at speeds 50+ when I hit bumps. I have tried to track the problem down to no avail. I would like to lift my xj 4.5 then put 31/10.5's on it. I know all the major causes of DW and the only remedy seems to be replacing everything. So by replacing my track bar with an adjustable track bar, new adjustable control arms, new tires, wheels, springs, and shocks am I putting myself in a better or worse situation. I also have a shop down 3 miles from my house thats going to do an alignment. Oh second question is how much should a good alignment cost? The shop says they will do it for $60. Everything I have heard that number should be around $200. Thanks in advance for any help!
Old 09-04-2009, 12:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Trackbar is the #1 cause of DW, so if you get a new one that Might get it. But, since you have been shaking your rig to death for 7 months, I would guess you need TREs and ball joints now, also. Steering stabilizer is probably toast, also. Hopefully you haven't wrecked the steering box. Control arms, shocks and alignment(which should have been done with the lift) wont hurt. Alignment should cost $60-$100.
Old 09-04-2009, 04:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L 242

Originally Posted by 93gc40
Trackbar is the #1 cause of DW, so if you get a new one that Might get it. But, since you have been shaking your rig to death for 7 months, I would guess you need TREs and ball joints now, also. Steering stabilizer is probably toast, also. Hopefully you haven't wrecked the steering box. Control arms, shocks and alignment(which should have been done with the lift) wont hurt. Alignment should cost $60-$100.
X2 Just got rid of my Death wobble deisese i just wanted to kill my self finding the problems lol
Old 09-04-2009, 05:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by 93gc40
60 bucks for an alignment?!!!!!!!

I paid 46 today.
Old 09-04-2009, 05:18 PM
Roy

Originally Posted by kitsapfreerider
I have had the DW for 7 months now. I have learned to manage it.(sounds like some disease haha). It happens at speeds 50+ when I hit bumps. I have tried to track the problem down to no avail. I would like to lift my xj 4.5 then put 31/10.5's on it. I know all the major causes of DW and the only remedy seems to be replacing everything. So by replacing my track bar with an adjustable track bar, new adjustable control arms, new tires, wheels, springs, and shocks am I putting myself in a better or worse situation. I also have a shop down 3 miles from my house thats going to do an alignment. Oh second question is how much should a good alignment cost? The shop says they will do it for $60. Everything I have heard that number should be around $200. Thanks in advance for any help!
Rotate tires, the front tires get cupped if not done in awhile. Cheapest place to start.