Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Am I correct that this if an ugly oil pickup?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Default Am I correct that this if an ugly oil pickup?

So, while I wait for my xj head to come back from the machine shop I removed oil pan.

https://www.dropbox.com/sc/13loj8gtbl9bgha/TEntMq3Vkr

Pics are of oil pickup, lifter, top of short block

I thought it looked horrible and figured it meant I should replace both the pickup and pump, (yes, I have bad oil pressure, yes I know it well could be something else), but taking this one piece on its own...even if the low oil pressure was a result of something else, would you replace?

Last edited by IGeeky1; 03-28-2013 at 08:43 PM. Reason: fixed typo from jy to xj
Old 03-28-2013, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: I-6

That screen looks pretty packed off. Either get new one or clean that one up.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0

damn son. no wonder you had low oil pressure. I'd find the source of that gunk first. and count ok it being in the passages. after installing new stuff run it a cpl hrs and pull the pan again. the screen will prob have more gunk in it.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by s346k
damn son. no wonder you had low oil pressure. I'd find the source of that gunk first. and count ok it being in the passages. after installing new stuff run it a cpl hrs and pull the pan again. the screen will prob have more gunk in it.
I just picked this XJ up a few weeks ago. have only put a few hundred on it myself. Everything is gunked. Don't know if they just never changed oil or put some sort of "sealer" product or something in it. Rocker/pivots were very worn, fortunately they look great on the replacement head I'm putting on it

Things were so gunky up top I figured I need to take a peek down below.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM

From other threads, I've seen that if you remove the oil pump to inspect/clean whatever you may as well buy new due to the fact you can't buy the gasket separate from the pump. Is a new gasket pretty likely/always/rarely needed?

I also saw on that said if you remove the pickup you need some sort of new sealer or feeder tube or something to keep that junction air/fluid tight.

Anyone have the same/different experience?
Old 03-28-2013, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: I-6

Originally Posted by IGeeky1
From other threads, I've seen that if you remove the oil pump to inspect/clean whatever you may as well buy new due to the fact you can't buy the gasket separate from the pump. Is a new gasket pretty likely/always/rarely needed?

I also saw on that said if you remove the pickup you need some sort of new sealer or feeder tube or something to keep that junction air/fluid tight.

You can make your own gasket.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

You CAN buy thegasket.

The pickup needs to be pressed into th new pump. No sealer.

I've seen much worse engines cleaup nicley with Rotella, Marvel Mystery Oil, and a Napa Gold filter.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

If you're talking about the gasket between the pump and the block, The OEM part number is J3172332.

You'll probably destroy the pickup tube trying to remove it from the pump. Leave it be. Putting a new one on requires a special tool.

You can try this: Soak the screen end of the pickup tube in a bucket of mineral spirits until the crap loosens up, then see if you can get it out using a stiff bristle paint brush. To flush the pump out, chuck up the oil pump drive in an electric drill then submerge the pickup screen in a bucket containing 2 quarts of new motor oil. Run the electric drill clockwise to circulate the new oil through the pump. Repeat as required using new oil to get all the nasties out of the pump.

If you decide to get a new pump, autozone has melling pumps. Get the STANDARD pump, not the high volume pump. You'll need to buy the pickup tube seperate, then find the tube installation tube (Melling) to install it.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by CCKen
If you're talking about the gasket between the pump and the block, The OEM part number is J3172332.

You'll probably destroy the pickup tube trying to remove it from the pump. Leave it be. Putting a new one on requires a special tool.

You can try this: Soak the screen end of the pickup tube in a bucket of mineral spirits until the crap loosens up, then see if you can get it out using a stiff bristle paint brush. To flush the pump out, chuck up the oil pump drive in an electric drill then submerge the pickup screen in a bucket containing 2 quarts of new motor oil. Run the electric drill clockwise to circulate the new oil through the pump. Repeat as required using new oil to get all the nasties out of the pump.

If you decide to get a new pump, autozone has melling pumps. Get the STANDARD pump, not the high volume pump. You'll need to buy the pickup tube seperate, then find the tube installation tube (Melling) to install it.
Thanks CCKen, sounds like the plan!
Old 03-29-2013, 03:11 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

Thanks CCKen, sounds like the plan!
Error in my previous post. Its a tube installation TOOL, not a tube.

Go to Melling's web site. There's videos on how to install a tube, and preoil the engine. Check it out. There's also Youtube vids on preoiling an oil pump, which you have to do.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

WOW... I feel like someone else is having the same fun..cough cough .... as me! It could be a new Jeep club!
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by GAPANDA
WOW... I feel like someone else is having the same fun..cough cough .... as me! It could be a new Jeep club!
Ha yeah, very similar, I just saw your pics and thought...well that may be a bit worse than mine, but not by much