Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alternator Bolt - not enough room to remove

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 09:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default Alternator Bolt - not enough room to remove

I have a confusing problem and can’t find any information - so maybe this is just me. I cannot remove my alternator’s top bolt (called pivot bolt?). It is blocked by the mechanical fan. I have removed the serpentine belt, battery, battery tray, and electrical connections to the alternator. Just need to unbolt it.

My goal is to remove the nuts on the alternator braket/mount - I’m installing the “Brown Dog” super kit (new engine braket and mount). Have some other equipement to move as well, but getting the alternator off, then the alt braket seems necessary. pic related

So am I doing something wrong? I’m a novice at this so I could be going about this wrong. Recently bought a used XJ because they’re awesome and I’m inspired by the grat community, especially this forum!
XJ has a bad engine mount and I decided to go way over board and get the BD super kit, cause why not.

My XJ is a ‘99 4.0 manual. Mostly stock.

Last edited by DaffyChuck; 03-19-2018 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 03-19-2018, 09:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: I6 4.0L

You have to remove the fan. If you're just removing an alternator, even if you get the bracket and bolt out the alternator will not clear the fan. In your case you may have more room if you already moved the battery tray, etc.
There are 4 13mm nuts holding the fan to the pulley. This is easiest with the belt on, since the pulley tends to turn on you, but it's possible by holding the fan using a second wrench on another bolt or other creative means. I found it easier from the bottom.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by PatHenry
You have to remove the fan. If you're just removing an alternator, even if you get the bracket and bolt out the alternator will not clear the fan. In your case you may have more room if you already moved the battery tray, etc.
There are 4 13mm nuts holding the fan to the pulley. This is easiest with the belt on, since the pulley tends to turn on you, but it's possible by holding the fan using a second wrench on another bolt or other creative means. I found it easier from the bottom.
Thanks, PatHenry. I did play around with removing the fan, but had a real hard time with the pulley turning on me -exactly like you said. Tried a trick from a differnt thread with putting a screw-driver across the bolts to hold it still while I wrench the other bolts. Bent my screw-driver. I guess I’ll put the belt back on and tighten it up real good then give it another try.

Follow up question: do I not need to loosen the big (35mm?) nut on the fan spindle, if that is the right term?

Thanks again
Old 03-19-2018, 10:18 AM
CF Veteran

Once those 4 nuts are off you should be able to carefully slip the fan out from the bottom (or if you've removed the fan shroud, the top). I'm not sure what 35mm nut you're referring to - The XJ (at least through the 99 model year) mounts the clutch to the pulley with 4 nuts, once those nuts are off, you pull the fan away from the threaded studs and up or down out of the vehicle (being careful not to damage the radiator by whacking it with the heavy metal fan blades.). My 2000 TJ had the kind with the big nut and mounted to the water pump that you had to take a big wrench and sort of hammer/jerk it loose... yours should not have this setup though.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Here's what the clutch looks like:

The 4 threaded rods on the pulley go in the U shaped cut outs and the fan bolts onto the clutch casing. You don't have to separate the fan blades from the clutch, just pull the clutch off with the fan and set it aside
Old 03-19-2018, 10:32 AM

Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I must have stumbled into a TJ thread and didn’t realize it -which is where I got the impression I needed to remove that big nut. I’ll try your advise. Much appreciated.
Old 03-19-2018, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by DaffyChuck
Thanks for clearing up my confusion. I must have stumbled into a TJ thread and didn’t realize it -which is where I got the impression I needed to remove that big nut. I’ll try your advise. Much appreciated.
No worries. It's possible the XJ went with that design in the 00-01 years - those years are funky in many ways.

You can try using a strap wrench or something maybe to hold the pulley in place if you have one laying around. The key is not to damage the pulley, otherwise I'd say clamp the heck out of it with vise-grips...