Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alternative fix for CPS problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 06:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Alternative fix for CPS problems

So my 1994 XJ started sputtering and backfiring when I would hit a bump... it started when I was on a dirt road close to home fortunately, but it was BAD due to a rutted road... I was able to limp it out back to pavement and the problem lessened other than when I would hit a slight bump... then the jeep would buck and hesitate and backfire and smooth out again....this progressively got worse for a day until it stalled out and would not start at all.....
It would just turn over without spark or fuel. To make a long story short..... It was a Crank Position Sensor problem...But the sensor itself is still good.

The plug for the CPS on the intake manifold part of the engine harness went bad inside and left the sensor ok....Im a typical broke jeep guy LOL and so I simply cut the plug out and used bullet connectors to reconnect the wires and heat shrink over the connections to keep out the weather problems or dirt....which, with the cps issues we get, plague all of us with problems that are sometimes quite baffling.

So if you think or know your CPS is going or gone....check the plug first, it can save you 80$ or so to just wire that back up without the plug if you're broke at the time like me.

CHEERS!

Happy Jeep again