Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

All sorts of stuff going on in front end

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2017, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Inline-6
Default All sorts of stuff going on in front end

I'm looking for guidance on where to start/look to fix my Jeep. After I lifted it (3" Rough Country) and got bigger tires (31") I've had problems with the front end. Now there's multiple problems and I'm not the best at explaining them but the first was a popping sound when I turned the wheels to far left or right and it ended up being the track bar which I had replaced with a rubicon express adjustable track bar and that solved this problem. I didn't have any problems for a little while but now a few months later I'm hearing a popping/cracking noise but not nearly as loud when I turn the wheel left and right I'm not sure if getting that new track bar caused something else to weaken but I haven't felt anything loose under the front including the u-joints. I'm also hearing a cracking noise when decelerating and coming to a stop. Also when I go over bumps even if its just a crack in the road and I have my windows down I hear a rattle almost sounds like a metal clothes hanger hitting the body or similar to it (might not be in the front end just sounds like it's under the vehicle). If anyone has any guidance on where to start looking that would be great. I also realize that this could be multiple things wrong and will probably be hard to pinpoint as I'm not very familiar with the front end.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:26 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

For the rattle, check to see if your exhaust is hitting the cross member - very common issue. Just peek your head under and look how much clearance you have. For the other noise, my first guess would be to double check the axel ujoints again. Have you ever replaced them? If not, they may be due. When you replaced your track bar was the axle side connection wallowed out at all? Could be one, both, or neither or those, but its a place to start.
Old 07-18-2017, 02:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THX-1138
For the rattle, check to see if your exhaust is hitting the cross member - very common issue. Just peek your head under and look how much clearance you have. For the other noise, my first guess would be to double check the axel ujoints again. Have you ever replaced them? If not, they may be due. When you replaced your track bar was the axle side connection wallowed out at all? Could be one, both, or neither or those, but its a place to start.
Good stuff. Also, check your steering box mounting location. Larger tires will stress the mount and crack it. Have someone turn the steering wheel and see if the box has movement.
Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L Inline-6

Originally Posted by THX-1138
Originally Posted by MWMahoneyJr
Good stuff. Also, check your steering box mounting location. Larger tires will stress the mount and crack it. Have someone turn the steering wheel and see if the box has movement.
I just had to leave town for work on short notice so I won't be near my Jeep until the 28th but I'll get back to you guys when I can have a look, thanks!!
Old 07-18-2017, 11:15 PM
No, I don't lick fish.

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

ANY time you lift a 4 link vehicle, worn out components will show themselves. Based on your avatar, it appears you have a 97-01 XJ. So unless you have replaced the steering joints up front, you can't be sure that the joints on there aren't the original joints. Let's assume they are (cause even if the PO told you they replaced them, can you be sure?).... so they're between 16-20 years old and have however many miles on them that are on your Jeep.

Now... we've got our assumptions out of the way, let's look at the geometry. The stock components have been at stock ride height plus or minus an inch or two for 16-20 years and have worn accordingly. Now you come along with a 3" lift, changing the position that those tie rod ends are in and pulling them out of their worn spots. So any time the suspension cycles, the joints move in and out of those worn spots - making a popping sound.

Long story short, start replacing your steering components a little at a time. I'd definitely recommend upgrading to the v8 ZJ tie rod if you do. You don't have to do everything all at once, if you can't afford it. If you can though, it's worth it. Less than a couple hundred bucks for all new steering that's more durable.... your steering will feel tighter than ever too.

****also - check the bracket that the trac bar mounts to on the frame.... sometimes, strain from axle movement will cause small stress fractures in the frame.