Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Spinning front driveshaft from hand I can hear a ticking/grinding noise @tcase

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default Spinning front driveshaft from hand I can hear a ticking/grinding noise @tcase

This began when I started hearing a clacking noise at low speeds 5mph-35mph although not at idle or higher speeds. So I jacked up the right front tire to give it a spin thats when I pinpointed the sound. Ive jiggled the front driveshaft around there isnt really any play in it. Its just this ticking sound when I spin the driveshaft I can rotate it but at a specific point I hear the click and I can turn it back like a cm then forwards to localize the sound coming from the tcase I have a 98 XJ sport could it be the chain to the transfer case or a bearing? Any advice?
The following users liked this post:
AnvilTrailhawk77 (05-03-2021)
Old 07-15-2017, 02:48 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Could be the shift lever is out of adjustment and is partially engaging 4x4. When turning the front shaft with both rear wheels on ground, the chain should not be turning. Tough to diagnose from here

Last edited by SteveMongr; 07-15-2017 at 02:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2017, 08:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee

I went in and actually checked the fluid in my transfer case to change it out and it there was barely any left so I flushed it a bit then filled it to the brim. The sound is still there but only audible to me around 15 mph and a lot quieter. Im guessing its the chain slapping the bottom from getting stretched out? My jeep has about 257000 miles on it. Im going to check the fluid again tomorrow and top it off if needed. I havent driven it in 4wheel in awhile. Im going to make sure all my tires are right since I did get 2 used on the back maybe the size is off before I go in and try to split the case and check out the chain.
Old 07-19-2017, 01:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1989 Limited
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I-6 4.0L AMC Renix

I have the exact same issue with my np231. I just installed it on my 89 because I had to replace the transmission and the new transmission came out of a 93 so I had to take the t-case as well because of the spline count. It wasn't a high mileage one. I believe it was about 150k ish miles on it. But my tcase is leaking out of the front shaft seal I believe. I have to wait for my mechanic to get back to the states because he has a lift in his shop he will let me use.