Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

All kinds of weird electrical problems...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 03:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default All kinds of weird electrical problems...

Okay I've been having some weird electrical problems lately...

1) Blinker sometimes works fine, sometimes blinks then stays on solid, sometimes doesn't blink and just stays solid all the time. while clicked.

2) Door lock switch on driver side unlocks doors every time, but sometimes will not lock doors... push button nothing happens kinda thing. Other door lock switches work good.

3) Driver side window switch will not roll window up, or down... all other window switches on driver panel work up and down...

Any help with these problems?
Old 08-27-2013, 08:09 PM

Took apart the driver side window switch panel. Cleaned every connection, dielectric greased pretty much everything that needed. all windows work except the driver side and the doors still dont unlock / lock sometimes from the driver side...
could i just have a bad switch plate? could it be wiring?
Old 08-27-2013, 10:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 with all of the noise and clatter

Look at the wiring in the boot between the door and door jamb.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 AM

Check all the light bulbs and replace the flasher in the fuse box under the dash (drivers side). I just did that on my 89 Laredo Wagon. Now I have turn signals and emergency flashers.
John
Old 08-28-2013, 11:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

I have all of those problems on my 98.

My door locks are intermittent, so I've never really bothered to try to fix it.

I replaced the window switch and if fixed that.

I've had tons of blinker problems (weird ones, like, hit the right turn signal, and my emergency blinkers come on, or the left turn actually powered the right bulbs... it was weird). I finally tracked most of them down to a faulty 4 pin trailer harness that had shorted out. I removed that and rewired a new one, and that cured most of those problems. Probably not your issue, but if you have a harness for towing, always a good thing to check.

My front turn bulbs plug into a socket, which in turn, plugs into a connector on the wiring harness. Both sockets are bad on my right side, and I've been unable to find replacements (haven't tried a junk yard yet). I have 2 other 98 XJ's, 1 for trail, and 1for parts, and neither of them are wired the same as my DD. Sometimes one of the sockets works, and I ger a rapid blink. Sometimes it quits, and it is just a solid arrow on the dash. My marker lights do not work at all on that corner.

If you've checked all your bulbs, and your fuses, actually check the light socket itself with a test light. Mine get power to the plug that the socket plugs into, but not to the bulb-side of the socket.
Old 08-28-2013, 01:14 PM

A new multiswitch may solve your blinker issues.

everything else appears to be covered already

s
Old 08-28-2013, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by XJNKY
I have all of those problems on my 98.

My door locks are intermittent, so I've never really bothered to try to fix it.

I replaced the window switch and if fixed that.

I've had tons of blinker problems (weird ones, like, hit the right turn signal, and my emergency blinkers come on, or the left turn actually powered the right bulbs... it was weird). I finally tracked most of them down to a faulty 4 pin trailer harness that had shorted out. I removed that and rewired a new one, and that cured most of those problems. Probably not your issue, but if you have a harness for towing, always a good thing to check.

My front turn bulbs plug into a socket, which in turn, plugs into a connector on the wiring harness. Both sockets are bad on my right side, and I've been unable to find replacements (haven't tried a junk yard yet). I have 2 other 98 XJ's, 1 for trail, and 1for parts, and neither of them are wired the same as my DD. Sometimes one of the sockets works, and I ger a rapid blink. Sometimes it quits, and it is just a solid arrow on the dash. My marker lights do not work at all on that corner.

If you've checked all your bulbs, and your fuses, actually check the light socket itself with a test light. Mine get power to the plug that the socket plugs into, but not to the bulb-side of the socket.
I literally took EVERYTHING apart on the window switch down to the pieces UNDER the clear switches. Cleaned everything re-dielectric'd everything. plugged it back in... driver window still didnt work. I wiggled around the blue and white (drivers side front window) wires and it moved a lil bit. So i bent the prongs in the switch up a bit (the way that I moved them when it worked) and the front driver window works now, BUT the rear driver window doesn't roll up from the driver switch i have to roll it up with the rear door window switch. This leads me to believe that it MUST be a faulty driver door switch panel... right?
Old 08-29-2013, 09:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by AZSnake98
I literally took EVERYTHING apart on the window switch down to the pieces UNDER the clear switches. Cleaned everything re-dielectric'd everything. plugged it back in... driver window still didnt work. I wiggled around the blue and white (drivers side front window) wires and it moved a lil bit. So i bent the prongs in the switch up a bit (the way that I moved them when it worked) and the front driver window works now, BUT the rear driver window doesn't roll up from the driver switch i have to roll it up with the rear door window switch. This leads me to believe that it MUST be a faulty driver door switch panel... right?
There's a chance, but it's not definite. As others have mentioned, the 97-01's have more issues with wires breaking in the door jam. And think about it, which door gets opened and closed the most.

So yes, replacing the whole switch panel may fix it, or it may not. It worked for me. I guess I should clarify... it wasn't my driver's side switch that went out. The passenger window could only be rolled up from the driver's side, and I replaced the passenger switch.

Get a junkyard switch and give it a try.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by XJNKY
There's a chance, but it's not definite. As others have mentioned, the 97-01's have more issues with wires breaking in the door jam. And think about it, which door gets opened and closed the most.

So yes, replacing the whole switch panel may fix it, or it may not. It worked for me. I guess I should clarify... it wasn't my driver's side switch that went out. The passenger window could only be rolled up from the driver's side, and I replaced the passenger switch.

Get a junkyard switch and give it a try.
Now the rear driver side window rolls up... but only when roll the driver side FRONT window up with it... LMAO. This thing is an electrical nightmare.

I've checked all the wires in the doorjambs when I rewired my door speakers. They are fine. I guess I'll go get a switch panel and try it out...