Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Alarm Serious Problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Exclamation Alarm Serious Problem

To make a long story short, a mechanic is replacing my fuel pump, and the alarm sounds. He cut the wire to the alarm horn, but apparently the Jeep will not start because the alarm is still active inside the Jeep. He can fix this problem for an extra charge, but I don't want to pay him anymore than I have. How can I fix this problem myself?

I have been browsing the Search option, but I thought signing up would be easier since I recently bought a Jeep. So, hello all.

SPECS:
-1998 Jeep Cherokee
-4x4
-Automatic
-I6
-No clue which alarm. I assume factory, but the used-car dealership does not know / will not tell.

Cheers,
Art
Old 03-10-2010, 11:34 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: I6 4.0L HO, JBA headers, 99 intake, #703 injectors

personaly if he cut a wire to your alarm system and it wont start. he should fix it. bottem line is that he caused the problem. you should not have to pay out the nose for any problem any mechanic causes.

i actualy dont know how to fix this problem. usualy starting the jeep would turn the alarm off... atleast it does in my 05 grand cherokee. the remote battery died on the key and now when you unlock the door with the key the alarm goes off and when you start it the alarm turns off.

mabey if you reconnect the wire and turn it off with the remote?
shurgs* this shouldnt be your problem... the mechanic should fix this anyways.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by Allusion
personaly if he cut a wire to your alarm system and it wont start. he should fix it. bottem line is that he caused the problem. you should not have to pay out the nose for any problem any mechanic causes.

i actualy dont know how to fix this problem. usualy starting the jeep would turn the alarm off... atleast it does in my 05 grand cherokee. the remote battery died on the key and now when you unlock the door with the key the alarm goes off and when you start it the alarm turns off.

mabey if you reconnect the wire and turn it off with the remote?
shurgs* this shouldnt be your problem... the mechanic should fix this anyways.
No remote was provided for any alarm (and the power locks) when I purchased the Jeep.

The mechanic stated earlier that the alarm started honking, so he disconnected the battery, but he ended up cutting the horn wire without my permission, and the alarm is still disabling the Jeep from starting.

Should I even discuss payment with someone who cut my horn without permission? I just want to figure out how to disable the alarm internally.

Cheers for your feedback.
Old 03-10-2010, 11:45 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

If your jeep has a smart key put the key in the door and turn the key to unlock twice. You should here all of the doors unlock if you have the smart key. this should turn off the alarm. thats how it worked in my old 300m.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by jd2311900
If your jeep has a smart key put the key in the door and turn the key to unlock twice. You should here all of the doors unlock if you have the smart key. this should turn off the alarm. thats how it worked in my old 300m.
No clue about smart key. I am going to the dealership now to talk to the manager about another issue with the mechanic / alarm problem.

Will keep you all updated (if you even care).
Old 03-10-2010, 12:41 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

Cool let me know what it turns out to be.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

I have to agree with Allusion, if the mechanic caused the problem why are you paying for it? You should not have to pay for something that he did to cause the problem without even asking you if it was ok with you first.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 9teen98
Engine: 4.0 I6

i agree, you shouldn't have to pay for the mechanic cutting the horn wire and rewiring it.
Old 03-10-2010, 12:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1988
Engine: Renix

The mechanic should just fix it on his dime......If he wont tell every one in your area he is a crook and they should not go there......If that dose not work take a add out in cragslist that reads something like this........FREE LAWNMOWER, And FREE BABY GRAND PIANO...We are moving and cannot take with us........First one to Pick it up on Sunday morning starting at 5:00AM Gets it........HAHAHAHA
Old 04-01-2010, 07:55 PM

Sorry for the late reply.

Been trying to get expenses, etc. back on track & have been lying low online for a while, but to finish the story!

I ended up adding around $60 more than expected from the beginning estimate. I let the b/s go, and met the guy half way just to end the experience. The Jeep has been running well since. Took it back home where my step-dad helped install my new front-door speakers (only ones in the car!) & deck. Alarm ended up being Viper-made, so we removed the entire wiring + system, and cleaned up the overall wiring layout - another thing people should do to prolong their vehicle's life).

Don't recommend to anyone have a military-based auto hobby shop repair. True story.

Last edited by artdavidson; 04-01-2010 at 07:57 PM. Reason: correction of grammar