Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Airbag Light/Dead Gauges Issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 08:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Airbag Light/Dead Gauges Issue

I've read up on this problem, and feel like I covered most of the common repairs, but still having some issues. The horn wasn't working when I bought it, so I replaced the clockspring...horn fixed. Every once in a while, the airbag light will come onl, and the gauges die. If I reach under the dash, and very briefly unplug the harness from the little meatal module box up in there, and plug it right back in, the airbag light goes off, and gauges start working again. Sometimes they start working on their own. Sometimes they work for an entire trip, but when I get back in it the airbag light is right back on. I removed the airbag controller from the console, and opened it up, and checked the connections, and it is shiny and appears as good as new. Is there anything I am missing on this? should I just replace the air bag control module anyway? My XJ is a 98 4 door 4wd sport. Thanks in advance,

Corey
Old 05-14-2010, 10:33 AM

Well, after driving it home last night, everything was working properly. I sut it off and then turned it back on right away, and everything was still normal. when I started it up this morning, the airbag light was already on, and gauges were dead. Please tell me somebody has some idea on this.

Corey
Old 05-24-2010, 08:22 AM

Default RESOLVED!

I kept throwing parts at it, replaced the airbag control module, the TCU, even bought replacement airbags and an instrument cluster from the salvage yard. I removed my instrument cluster, noticed that the recall had been done on the harness, but just for the heck of it I decided to clean the connections on my cluster, reinstalled it, and Presto! That is all it was., Invisible corrosion on the connector pins on the back of the instrument cluster causing the airbag light to come on, and the gauges to die intermittantly. Hopefully this helps somebody down the road.

Corey
Old 06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
rmc

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

I just started having this issue on my '99. Looks like i'll be doing the same. At least I know where to start, so thank YOU for your post haha.
Old 06-05-2010, 08:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

my 01 does the same thing intermittently....normally after hitting a decent size bump.
i found if i smack the top of the dash it will come back to life.
i also read up on this problem, and was gonna clean up the connections and use a little dielectric grease..

question is, how hard was it to disassemble the dash enough to get to the connection?? really hoping i don't need to tear apart the whole dash.
Old 06-10-2010, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by vtfd330
i found if i smack the top of the dash it will come back to life.
x2. I don't want to tear apart the whole dash, but it would be nice to know what the problem is. I don't want to keep smacking the dash.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:46 AM

It is very easy to remove the cluster, and definitely worth doing it to solve the problem permanentely. The trim panel around the cluster pretty much just pops off, and four screws hold the cluster in. After that, just pull straight out on it and it will come out.
Old 06-11-2010, 09:10 AM

Engine: 4.0L

it's pretty easy to get the dash out (except I had some trouble getting around the headlight pull switch). When you take it out, pull the cluster out and you will see how flimsy the connection is at the back. Put some shims on the back connection (it helps to make a better connection) and secure them.
I had to do this, my cluster would go to zero over one bump and then jump up over another. It's been almost a year since I fixed it and it's all good!
Old 07-17-2010, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by fonman25
I've read up on this problem, and feel like I covered most of the common repairs, but still having some issues. The horn wasn't working when I bought it, so I replaced the clockspring...horn fixed. Every once in a while, the airbag light will come onl, and the gauges die. If I reach under the dash, and very briefly unplug the harness from the little meatal module box up in there, and plug it right back in, the airbag light goes off, and gauges start working again. Sometimes they start working on their own. Sometimes they work for an entire trip, but when I get back in it the airbag light is right back on. I removed the airbag controller from the console, and opened it up, and checked the connections, and it is shiny and appears as good as new. Is there anything I am missing on this? should I just replace the air bag control module anyway? My XJ is a 98 4 door 4wd sport. Thanks in advance,

Corey
go to the dealership cus the airbag module is under RECALL. i have the same issue. the air bag light will intermittly go on and off. maybe twice a week. but regardless my truck was under recall. any car truck you buy i always checked recalls. the front rotors are also under recall. so go get um boys. recalls are the only way us do it yourselfers to get back at these stealerships for ridiculous prices..ah
Old 07-17-2010, 09:43 PM

Year: 99

Do you need to disconnect battery for this. Worried about airbag going off. Thanks
Old 07-17-2010, 11:48 PM

Question 2001 insturment cluster

I have been having this issue for approx 2 years. I am glad I found this site, what I have noticed, that was not mentioned here is that this problem will happen almost every time when it has sitting out in the extreme sun and heat, usually after running the the A/C for a while then stoping the vechile and shuting it off and then restarting the vehicle the issue will be gone at least for a while (or maybe the next bump will cause it to happen and several bumps later it will start working again). Another item that has not been mentioned here is that the odometer will read "NO BUSS" while the instruments quit working and the gauges remain in the location they were just prior to issue and will not adjust or even move from previous reading while the cluster is not operating. While this is happening the mileage is not adding up, and that if it is intermitant on and off then the mileage will actully read the combined total while the cluster is operational. The airbag light will come on while the problem persists, is the same as mentioned in the other discussions. I have been running with the check engine light on for nearly 4 years, the mechanic has reset it for me several times at first then it got to the point that I just let it stay on hoping it would just burn out, but it hasn't. I would appreciate any advice on these issues, if they sound related? I am only limited new car mechanical, I was much better at adjusting the poits etc of yesteryear.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:40 PM

Default No Bus No gauges

I have the exact same symptoms- ran for almost a year with "check engine"- decided to let mechanic look at it- replaced spark plug or two and it went away. The dash gauges go out intermittently and the airbag light appears now and then. Turning the air conditioner on and off seems to jump start everything. And yes- I now get the "No Bus" readout when the gauges go out.

Any ideas anyone?

2001 Jeep Cherokee
Old 09-30-2010, 09:24 PM

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 I6

Wow, I'm glad I read this. 97 XJ Sport (5 speed), same issues! Airbag light intermittent, and the gauges die. I used to smack the dash, but that quit working, so I would flick the headlights, but that quit working, so now I change the odometer to trip and back again. So far, works every time. I had a mech check out the airbag light, and he said my 97 had a wiring harness from a 98 in it, and the airbag control sending unit thing wasn't where it normally is for a 97.

I saw someone say on here it's under recall? How do I know if that applies to me? I'd love to get this fixed...
Thanks guys, great forum
Old 10-01-2010, 06:56 AM

i just read that your mechanic said the module is in a diff spot? if that s the case you might already had the recall on your truck and it may be fixed already. most likly. regardless go check it out. and if the recall was already fixed take out the cluster super easy and contact grease in the connections and ull be good. i have a 97 sport same as you just auto. ull be good in 30 min..quick fix.. grease it up but use the right electrical contact grease. not just any old grease.!!!!

Originally Posted by slimjimvinny
Wow, I'm glad I read this. 97 XJ Sport (5 speed), same issues! Airbag light intermittent, and the gauges die. I used to smack the dash, but that quit working, so I would flick the headlights, but that quit working, so now I change the odometer to trip and back again. So far, works every time. I had a mech check out the airbag light, and he said my 97 had a wiring harness from a 98 in it, and the airbag control sending unit thing wasn't where it normally is for a 97.

I saw someone say on here it's under recall? How do I know if that applies to me? I'd love to get this fixed...
Thanks guys, great forum

all you gotta do is go to a dealership jeep of course and tell them your here for a air bag module recall. give them your vin. You gotta act like you already know. they dont wanna work for free trust me.

So thats what i did. I origanlly just googled jeep cherokee recalls and i read up on it. the front rotors are recalled also.

So i had it fixed but in the end it turned out to be a loose connection between the cluster and the clip it clips into. the cluster is almost like a big clip. theres no wires in the back of cluster the cluster it self is the female i beleive and the truck is the male. or visa versa. eithe rway i pulle dit out and put contact grease electrical and its been better ever since.

regardless the air bag module is a very important device. in a split second accident you dont need it to fail. go get that recall fixed

Last edited by LiFteDLiFe97; 10-01-2010 at 07:00 AM. Reason: re read his question
Old 10-02-2012, 12:51 PM

this is great info, many thanks everyone

Quick Reply: Airbag Light/Dead Gauges Issue