Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Airbag light and cruise control not working

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Airbag light and cruise control not working

I have been reading alot of the airbag light threads and the cruise control not working goes hand in hand with a airbag clock spring needing replacement.
This is where I am getting confused.
In many of the other threads it says that the airbag controller was moved under the dash for the 01xj and when I look online or even at my local parts store for a new airbag clockspring I keep finding clockspring w/o cruise.
Can someone confirm if my issue sounds like a clockspring issue and does anyone have a few sources for a clockspring w cruise?

Thanks in advance
Travis
Old 01-14-2014, 12:23 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Should be a clockspring issue.

The clockspring is basically a long ribbon cable that is wound up in the plastic housing. This allows the steering wheel to turn without twisting up wires that would power the horn/airbag/cruise (if you have it).

If it was just regular wire that was ran through the column, it would pull, tug, and twist the wire till it breaks. The clockspring utilizes the ribbon cable wound around itself to give it slack to turn the wheel each way and supply power to items in the steering wheel.

EDIT: Overtime, the ribbon cable in the clockspring with break at the contact points This why they go bad.

Usually an airbag light accompanied by either a non working horn, cruise or both, points to the clockspring.

I recently had to replace both. I had a non working horn and airbag light. But, even after that replacement, the light was still on. My ACM (99 model) is mounted under the driver seat. They are prone to corrosion and there was a recall on this to move it under the center console. I'm not as familiar with the 01's, but I would guess if the ACM is not mounted on the floor pan, its should be ok.

My 0.02 would be its the clockspring. Really easy fix with a few tools, and about 30 minutes to change. As far as a clockspring for the cruise option, check eBay and local salvage yards. Most automotive retail stores will carry Dorman clocksprings. While these are decent, new clocksprings, Dorman doesn't make one with cruise wiring.

Good luck!
-Sam
Old 01-14-2014, 12:32 PM

Engine: 4.0

Thanks XJ Sam.
The Dorman is the only one autozone carries for my 01.
I was reading on here and plenty people say to stay away from JY clockspings.
I guess I will hit up ebay
Old 01-14-2014, 05:36 PM

Engine: I-6

Google is your friend ! I bought a genuine mopar clock spring on line it was 100 or so dollars .
Did this on my 01 2 years ago .
Old 01-14-2014, 07:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0L

I would say clockspring as well. I bought my used (genuine MOPAR) clockspring on EBAY about a year ago when I decided I wanted to install cruise control. No problems so far.