Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

96 Xj Headlight and blinker problems PLEASE HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 05:28 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default 96 Xj Headlight and blinker problems PLEASE HELP!

Ok so I replaced my fuel pump today thinking it had gone out. Long story short I found out a broken o2 sensor wire shorted and blew the ASD relay fuse, got that problem fixed. After that I realized my headlights and front blinkers wouldn't work. When I try to turn my blinkers on both indicators light up along with my high beam indicator even when the high beams aren't on. I checked all the fuses under the hood and in the cab theyre all good. I checked the power at the headlight and blinker plugs, they all have power to the plugs and none of the bulbs are blown. This makes absolutely no sense to me because if there is power at the plug how can the lights not turn on? I got it to where one of the blinkers will come on when I flip the blinker switch but it doesn't flash it just stays on. Ive done hours of searching on here and no ones seems to have given a straight forward answer. I know the headlight switch is good so its not that, could it be a ground somewhere or some relay I don't know about maybe? Anyones input is greatly appreciated!
Old 01-13-2014, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Check your grounds. You need more than just power TO a device, you also need a return path FROM the device back to the battery.

If the ground is flaky, the current will seek out another path, and the results of that can be craziness.

Check your grounds!
Old 01-13-2014, 06:01 PM
Seasoned Member

What grounds should I check? And on the headlight plug theres 3 prongs that plug in. Should one of those be a ground and not have power because when I hit them with the test light all 3 had power and that seemed wierd to me.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 952 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

???

All three had power? That ain't right! One should be a ground. I don't recall which one.

You really need to get the FSM for your year of Jeep and start tracing some circuits.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:21 PM

Year: 2001

Originally Posted by DMAXX
What grounds should I check? And on the headlight plug theres 3 prongs that plug in. Should one of those be a ground and not have power because when I hit them with the test light all 3 had power and that seemed wierd to me.
Were the lights on at the time? If so, that's how it should be. Test light isn't terribly sensitive. Try to get your hands on a multimeter if you can. Then you can do things like check continuity and resistance. It will be more helpful.

Last edited by Ineedabeer; 01-14-2014 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
??? All three had power? That ain't right! One should be a ground. I don't recall which one. You really need to get the FSM for your year of Jeep and start tracing some circuits.
I figured it out after 2 hours of lookin today. It was a broken wire right at the plug on the main headlight wire harness. Got it all fixed up and its good to go. Just more reason to get the upgraded harness and HID's next month
Old 01-14-2014, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeMark
??? All three had power? That ain't right! One should be a ground. I don't recall which one. You really need to get the FSM for your year of Jeep and start tracing some circuits.
It ended up bein a broken wire right at the plug on the headlight harness. After 2 hours of lookin finally found it. Just more reason to upgrade the harness and get some HID's next month lol