Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Air conditioning mystery - cold air @ defrost only

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 10:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Air conditioning mystery - cold air @ defrost only

Complete newbie, just bought a 98 Cherokee yesterday. Previous owner stated that he had it 3 years and the A/C never worked. On the way home from picking it up, I was playing around with the A/C controls, and found that in defrost mode, ice cold air would blow out of the side vents.

I can't get air to blow through the dash vents, no matter which setting I turn the **** to. It seems like the compressor is kicking on, and since it was 95 degress outside, I was able to keep the interior cool using the defroster.

Any ideas on what could be going on here/where to start sorting it out? I would rather try to tackle this myself, instead of just running off to a repair shop and bleeding cash immediately.

Thanks!
Old 07-20-2016, 10:34 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Your HVAC unit vent doors are vacuum controlled. A loss of vacuum to the HVAC Mode Selector will default to Defrost.

More than likely you have a broken vacuum line in your engine bay that you should try and find. Below are pics of the vacuum lines you should examine.

Schematic of the vacuum lines:

Name:  jpgrev194_96VacuumSystem.jpg
Views: 3244
Size:  145.3 KB
Start at the intake manifold and move across the firewall:

Name:  jpgVacuumconnectionsatintake.jpg
Views: 1572
Size:  127.7 KB
Name:  jpghvacvactubechafarea.jpg
Views: 1613
Size:  109.0 KB
You may or may not have a check valve where the small tube enters the firewall. This small tube is the vacuum feed to the HVAC Mode Selector.
Name:  jpgHVACCheckValve.jpg
Views: 1958
Size:  82.6 KB
This small tube has been found broken. The pics below show a broken tube and the fix by using a rubber vacuum rated hose to couple the two broken ends.

Name:  HVACTubeBroken.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  305.3 KB
Name:  HVACTubeFix.jpg
Views: 1421
Size:  282.2 KB
If the small tube is okay, move along to the cruise control servo.

Name:  96%20Tee%20at%20Servo.png
Views: 1494
Size:  1.78 MB.
If okay, the tube that goes from the servo drops down to between the battery and the right inner fender. The tube has been found broken here (no pic). From here the tube goes to a Vacuum Reservoir behind the front bumper, right end cap. The connection at the reservoir has been found disconnected or broken. You can access a view of this connection by laying on your back and pulling down on the right plastic wheel well liner. Using a flashlight look up at the reservoir connection.

Name:  jpgVacuumReservoir.jpg
Views: 1465
Size:  129.2 KB
Name:  DSCF3004.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  908.4 KB
Do the inspections and get back with your findings. There could be other issues.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:36 AM

The PO of the 97 I just bought said that the ac was only blowing through the def. When I went to pick it up, my buddy, who has been a mechanic for over 50 years, said the that a vacuum leak was the first thing to look for, to address this. I am happy to have come across this post giving me a process to follow, to help me find the leak.
Old 07-28-2016, 10:38 AM

Been busy, will do the investigation & report back.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:53 PM

How much vacuum should your mightyvac hold on the line that goes thru the firewall to the control switch? Mine holds about 5 inches, I can pull more, but it leaks down to about 5 and holds. The vac res. holds and the cruise holds. The lines that run between these hold.
Old 07-28-2016, 07:14 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cwmoss
How much vacuum should your mightyvac hold on the line that goes thru the firewall to the control switch? Mine holds about 5 inches, I can pull more, but it leaks down to about 5 and holds. The vac res. holds and the cruise holds. The lines that run between these hold.

When testing my system I pumped it down to 20 in/hg and it held. I think I read in the FSM the minimum for operation of the system is 8 in/hg.

I don't know why yours would leak down to 5 then hold. Where are you tapping in to pump the system down? At the small tube going through the firewall, or at the intake manifold?
Old 07-29-2016, 08:18 AM

I got that reading at the small tube going thru the firewall. I did a quick pull from different places yesterday. I am gonna hook everything back up an start my pulls from the intake. Yesterday I made a pull from the vac. res. and it leaked down pretty fast, but I realized that I can't make my pulls from there.
Old 07-29-2016, 09:14 AM
CF Veteran

When checking the vacuum at the intake select defrost (5) on the mode selector. This will trap the vacuum at the mode selector (see vacuum chart below). If it leaks down the leak is in the black tube that goes through the firewall or the fault is in the mode selector. If it holds, select some other mode, like OFF and see what happens. Continue making other selections and watch the results.

Name:  jpgModeSelectFunctions.jpg
Views: 1455
Size:  160.5 KB
Old 07-29-2016, 10:27 AM

Thank you for the chart. I just remembered that I had downloaded the Factory service manual that you recommended. I have found the section on how to test the system.

Last edited by cwmoss; 07-29-2016 at 10:35 AM.
Old 07-30-2016, 01:45 PM

OK, so I traced the line as recommended by CCKen, and the line appears to be intact. Traced it all the way to the canister under the bumper. I don't have cruise control, so it's pretty simple. The only thing I noticed is that the 90 degree fitting where the vacuum line connects to the intake manifold seems a little dry rotted. Could the vacuum leak be there? If not, what's the next thing to check?
Old 07-30-2016, 01:56 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by wareagle32789
OK, so I traced the line as recommended by CCKen, and the line appears to be intact. Traced it all the way to the canister under the bumper. I don't have cruise control, so it's pretty simple. The only thing I noticed is that the 90 degree fitting where the vacuum line connects to the intake manifold seems a little dry rotted. Could the vacuum leak be there? If not, what's the next thing to check?

Did you do a leak check with a hand vacuum pump from the intake manifold, as discussed?
Old 07-30-2016, 03:47 PM

Yes, you will need a vacuum pump, a Mighty vac is a nice inexpensive one to get. There are a lot of different things you cab use it for.
CCKen, I found my leak. I took the entire vac line from the manifold to the canister off and then took that apart to check each component. It was the line from the intake to the first tee that had a pinhole in it. I had to check it in the sink that I filled with water, found the pinhole, cut the line there and then joined the line back together with a piece of rubber vac. hose. Thanks for the tips!!!
Old 07-30-2016, 06:09 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cwmoss
Yes, you will need a vacuum pump, a Mighty vac is a nice inexpensive one to get. There are a lot of different things you cab use it for.
CCKen, I found my leak. I took the entire vac line from the manifold to the canister off and then took that apart to check each component. It was the line from the intake to the first tee that had a pinhole in it. I had to check it in the sink that I filled with water, found the pinhole, cut the line there and then joined the line back together with a piece of rubber vac. hose. Thanks for the tips!!!

Good work and thanks for the follow up.
Old 09-16-2016, 01:06 AM

I'm having a similar issues with my 99 cherokee. Sometime the air will work great for an hour long trip, blowing out the vents like it's supposed to. I used it as a wheeling rig. It's about 25 minutes to the trails. Usually what happens is the air works great until I get out on the trails. Then once I get out there, it starts to blow out the defrost. I visually looked for leakes and cannot find any. I also sprayed carb cleaner all down the lines while it was running in an attempt to locate the leak. I need try the Mighty Vac I guess. Ive replaced a dry elbow and both check valves. Whats weird is its an intermittent issue. Like I said, the last time we went wheeling, It worked great on the way, after we were out there for awhile, it started to blow through the defrost, then after about 2 hours, it started working great again after hitting a bump.... Another symptom it has is most of the time when I get in to start it up, you can here the ac doors "suck" into the position they should be in. I read this could be caused by a bad check valve not holding vacuum, which is why I changed them. Any ideas other than rechecking for leaks??
Old 09-16-2016, 05:28 AM
CF Veteran

travisrr,

Check for leaks using the vacuum pump. Look for a fault at the vacuum reservoir.

Quick Reply: Air conditioning mystery - cold air @ defrost only