Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Again "we" discuss the back up lights

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Again "we" discuss the back up lights

I really want to improve the backup lights. The factory lights are worthless in my opinion. I know of the aurora lights, and I have seen lights in the bumper, but what about some small fog lights mounted next to the license plate? Are their legalities I need to be aware of? Also, I am looking for a wide dispersion of light not a focused beam. Any suggestions? This will be going on a 1995 with a fiberglass hatch.
Thanks.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:15 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away
Engine: 4.0

Ummm laws for your state,try asking a state trooper guy. Wow I think some of you guys just come from under a rock.Name:  rulez.gif
Views: 126
Size:  5.3 KB---- good idea but a bit of common sence please.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Lufkin, TX huh? About a stones throw from me!

In Texas, I dont think there would be any conflict with having the lights around the LP, as long as they dont cover it in any way and arent on when you are driving forward on the road. TX has passed a new regulation reguarding LPs recently, in respect to covering the LPs on vehicles, and most of the "vanity rings" that people have surrounding their LPs are now against the law. Mostly because they obstruct some of the LP. As to Florida? I dont really know.

Exactly why are you opposed to bumper mounting them or somewhere else? I was looking at mine just the other day and have decided to use some cheap 12 volt lights from Auto Zone or somewhere and mount them under the rear bumper.
Old 11-11-2010, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 ltr

Originally Posted by darkoverlift
I really want to improve the backup lights. The factory lights are worthless in my opinion. I know of the aurora lights, and I have seen lights in the bumper, but what about some small fog lights mounted next to the license plate? Are their legalities I need to be aware of? Also, I am looking for a wide dispersion of light not a focused beam. Any suggestions? This will be going on a 1995 with a fiberglass hatch.
Thanks.
I would go with a flood light pattern to get the light you are wanting (i.e. not beam). I think you would be fine as far as the law is concerned as long as you do not use them while driving down the road.

http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/techart...now/index.html

I think you are good... it appears Florida doesn't mention tail light or auxiliary light height limit and Texas states taillights no higher than 72" and also does not mention auxiliary lights.

And don't worry about Rich... he's grumpy.

Last edited by prerunner1982; 11-11-2010 at 05:51 PM.