Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Aftermarket headlights for XJ

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2010, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 turbo diesel
Default Aftermarket headlights for XJ

Hello guys and ladies
I have found these lights on ebay
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...64199&viewitem=
What I want to know is if they are available in right hand drive format. ie for the UK and Australian market.
I have tried to explain to the supplier that we drive on a different side of the road so the beam pattern is reversed for the UK and Australian market. But he says "these are not handed, they fit on either side of the vehicle!"
I KNOW the 2 headlights on an XJ are the same on each side of the vehicle but the US ones have a dipped beam that cuts to the right shoulder of the road and the UK/Aus version dips to the left. High beam is the same.
Can I get them for my UK XJ?
Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeease help.
Old 01-09-2010, 09:48 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L I6 Powertech

listing expired........ but u can aim them
Old 01-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Try this link.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-...item33583c1371

You cannot adjust the headlights to use US lights in the UK. The beam pattern, that is dictated by the shape of the rear reflector portion of the light is a reversed (ie mirror) image.
If you point your XJ at a wall, at a distance of about 10 feet, and turn the lights on, on low beam. You will notice the lights cast a shape that has a horizontal line and then a ramp up to the right. On Uk cars, the ramp is to the left! You cannot adjust this. It is set by the lights shape, or on older cars by the pattern on the lights lens.
I want to fit these type of lights but I need them suitable for the UK.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:30 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

the bulb would be the only thing you need to change you can still use your reflectors... there is a bunch of right hand drive jeeps in the u.s too they are used for the postal service
Old 01-09-2010, 12:12 PM

But even changing the bulbs doesn't make that much difference. It's still a bit like 2 candles in front of me!
Just would like the newer style lights as they put out more light for the same given bulb.
Oh and they look pretty cool as well.
Old 01-09-2010, 12:19 PM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

The UK Jeeps drive on the left side of the road and our headlights have the focus aimed to the right. In the UK that would be into the eyes of on coming traffic. So the focus should be center or left focus bulbs and as stated the focus is determined by the shape of the reflector not the bulb.
Old 01-09-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: '00wj, '90mj, '87mj, '86mj trailer
Engine: 4.0, 4.0, 4.0, none

whats stopping you from installing them upside down? is there an up/down pattern to consider?
Old 01-09-2010, 02:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1991

Check 4x4, or quadratrac mag. you can get glass (Not plastic) Lens ones. With the H4 HID 5000k, Hyper white, or blue/white if you want, (with replaceable) bulbs. For about $80 a pair. That's what I did. I know someone that got them on E-Bay, They looked so cheap. He didn't use them. Plastic lens yellow in a couple of years. And you have to polish them. I did get the H4 HID 5000k, Hyper white bulbs for the factory fog lights, to match. Off of E-Bay at $4.99 each.
Old 01-09-2010, 02:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

do not buy those i bought a set a year ago and you cant see anything with them if i got about 3 feet from a wall they worked but other than that there not bright at all they are more for looks and i took them out and threw them in the trash
Old 01-10-2010, 04:22 AM

Thanks BlueXJ. At last, someone understands what I was saying. Thankyou.
Thanks to GreenGoblin. I won't bother with them then.
So it looks like a bulb upgrade in the factory lights and 6 or 8 spotlights then!!
Old 01-10-2010, 06:08 AM
CF Veteran

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts
Year: 1997

I have a HID kit in my E30 BMW and they transformed the lighting for the better. However, I'm not sure about putting them in a jeep because HIDS tend to scatter light a lot more with reflector style headlights than the BMW's projectors.
Has anyone tried it and compared the beam pattern? I'm all for better lights but don't want to be dazzling oncoming drivers...
Old 01-10-2010, 06:54 AM

Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by comancheman
whats stopping you from installing them upside down? is there an up/down pattern to consider?
Nope, won't work. Each lens is made to go specifically on the left or specifically on the right (depending on which side of the road you drive on, not necessarily which side of the vehicle the steering wheel is on), and they can't be swapped or turned upside down. Well I suppose they could, but you would have a terrible light pattern.

They are called euro or E-code lights, although the difference is all in the reflector. They are designed to sharply cut the low beam off off horizontally just above hood level so the low beam doesn't shine into oncoming traffic or just get lost by scattering towards the sky. It keeps the light focused and makes the most out of your low beams. High beams, from what I understand, is about the same as normal.

As soon as I blow a bulb I'm getting THESE or THESE, as I hear great things about the budget priced Autopal lights. E-codes, combined with H4 bulbs and an upgraded wiring harness that runs straight from the battery...

Check this guy's pattern.

Last edited by 4Doors; 01-10-2010 at 07:03 AM. Reason: bad link
Old 01-10-2010, 07:15 AM

How does that Left & right lens design work with sealed beams when you can put the same sealed beam on ether side .I drive on the on the right side of the road.

Last edited by Skater28; 01-10-2010 at 07:19 AM.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 AM

You can't do this with your regular sealed beams. It's an upgrade and you have to actually buy new equipment to get this pattern.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 5.2 v8

The link that 4door put up to the euro lights, is a good link.

Thats the same lighting kit from autopal that i purchased like last year, they DO have a real nice cut line, and so far are holding up quite well. The bulbs they came with are still working too....which is a surprise. Just expect to spend some time aiming them if you buy them.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket headlights for XJ