Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

**ADVICE** Buy or Not to Buy??

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 10:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6
Default **ADVICE** Buy or Not to Buy??

Looking for a new Cherokee. Want an opinion on one. Has low miles and sounds good except for one thing that worries me.

It says there is a great deal of road noise and vibration and says this is due to needing new tires. I've never had a vehicle that vibrated or anything when tires were worn so this makes me weary, especially when ad says vehicle had a RECONSTRUCTED TITLE. I'm afraid it could be frame wasn't properly aligned when redone or didn't hold. Otherwise possibly worn axle, bearings, damaged driveshaft maybe.

Just thought I'd see if anyone hear might offer some advice on if I should avoid it or if it could be just the tires causing it like ad says. I haven't looked at or driven it yet as it is 2 hours away from me so don't know if worth driving that far to look at it or not.

Here is copy of the ad:

For sale is my 2000 Jeep Cherokee 4 door 4x4, I have used this jeep for back and forth to work and it has not ever let me down. Mechanically it will need new tires, and the a/c system recharged. The tires are 31x10.50x15 Goodyear MTR's with minimal tread, they make a great deal of road noise and vibration. The a/c system did work when I bought the jeep but lost its charge so I unplugged the compressor to keep it from being damaged. The interior is dark grey cloth and in great condition. The paint has a nice gloss, but overall i would rate it at a 6 out of 10. There are 80,471 original miles. A superlift 3 inch suspension lift, and a class 3 reciever hitch. It has Power windows, Power door locks , rear wiper, am/fm/casette(no cd), ac, tilt, no criuse. The engine is the 4.0 HO straight six cylinder with automatic OD tranny. This is a great Jeep for the price. Cash only please. $3200 firm. This jeep had a Pa reconstructed title when I purchased it in 2007 but I now have a clear Ga title in hand.
Old 03-23-2010, 10:36 PM

Engine: 4.0

If the tires were worn funny, cupping type of a thing it can cause the tires to be louder and have a bit of vibe. the guy i got my xj from never rotated them or had it aligned. so the tires are loud and give a little vibe because they had major cupping.

Just my experience, could be something else, if the owner will let you you could take it to a shop and get it looked at before buying it.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:14 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L I6

yeah if the tires are in bad enough condition they could cause a fairly bad vibration/noise. they could also be out of balance or the jeep could need to be aligned. or it could be a combination of those. or it could be something completely unrelated. there are a lot of things to keep in mind when looking for vibration and noise. i would look at the tires closely to see if they look cupped or worn down unevenly.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 PM

First and foremost, XJ's don't have much a "frame" structure to begin with, ya know?

If it been hit and has a salvaged title, it will NEVER be the same... period.

I'd say no on this one and keep looking...

That's my $0.02
Old 03-23-2010, 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by dyegunswin
yeah if the tires are in bad enough condition they could cause a fairly bad vibration/noise. they could also be out of balance or the jeep could need to be aligned. or it could be a combination of those. or it could be something completely unrelated. there are a lot of things to keep in mind when looking for vibration and noise. i would look at the tires closely to see if they look cupped or worn down unevenly.

Doesn't sound like ya'll think it has to do with it being a Reconstructed(Reconditioned Salvage) Vehicle. Except when mentioning alignment, which wouldn't be a big deal, unless it's unalignable due to poor reconstruction resulting in alignment not possible/holding.

Ya'll haven't even mentioned the fact of the title at all. Does that mean it wouldn't be a big concern for you?
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 litre

Reconstructed title... Was totaled out before. I would walk away and find another one
Old 03-23-2010, 11:32 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Might want to do some checking at the court house as well. Some states won't title a vehicle with a Rebuilt/Reconstructed title.
Old 03-23-2010, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by jfxj67
First and foremost, XJ's don't have much a "frame" structure to begin with, ya know?

If it been hit and has a salvaged title, it will NEVER be the same... period.

I'd say no on this one and keep looking...

That's my $0.02

Yea, that's why I haven't went to look at it.

I know that XJ suspenstions are very finicky (why many people have deathwobble problems) to begin with and don't imagine being wrecked helped it any. I'm guessing it was wrecked pretty bad too if insurance totaled it when only 5-6 years old. Definitely wasn't just a minor fenderbender. LOL

Just thought I was maybe being paranoid so want to get others input.
Old 03-24-2010, 06:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

well, the ad says it now has a clear GA title. so if it's real, the only way to get a clear title is it has to be rebuilt with brand new parts with all receipts to prove, plus an inspection by the MOT.

the tires can give a very bad vibe if not taken care of properly. most people with larger tires still run the air pressure at what they are used to and is usually too much for these tires, so abnormal wear is usually a result. plus mtr tires are loud to begin with.

so it will need new tires, there's another 800 bux.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:37 PM

Default NO SALE!! LOL

Didn't buy it or even go look at it.
Old 03-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: ???

Bearing could be bad, that could be the load road noise.
Old 03-27-2010, 04:54 AM

The tires on both of my XJ's were oval instead of round, which caused huge amounts of vibration. I had them balanced a few times and finally had a friend do it. When I was back watching the machine, you could see the change in shape as it was spinning.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything with a rebuilt title. Plenty of XJ's running around to choose from.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:11 AM
MJ>XJ

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0 I6

PASS... two reasons... if it was a chevy pickup with a steel frame and a rebuilt title... then its fine... but not a unibody with a rebuilt title... and because its a 2000... these motors were prone to cracking the head between number 3 and 4 cylinders... research 0331 head... and there different then the 91-98 motors so they actually cost more because of this... i would look for a 96-98 thats clean and with a NORMAL title...