Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Adding a Reese class III hitch. What about trailer wiring?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2015, 11:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Adding a Reese class III hitch. What about trailer wiring?

Hello all,

I'm going to mount a Reese class III hitch (I forget the exact model number but found some good instructions on how to do it). The confusing part is the trailer wiring. I found some threads about splicing into the rear driver side lights (with no more details than that). Others saying there's usually a connector behind one of the panels in the cargo area and it's plug and play. What I could not come across were clear instructions on how to hook up wiring for trailer lighting. My Cherokee is a 96 Country. I don't mind putting a little extra money out for a plug and play harness if such a thing does exist. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Last edited by loligator; 02-09-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

Yes, there is a plug and play adapter for your XJ. I believe the harness runs behind the spare tire panel. Once you remove the panels there will be 2 connectors.

Searching Amazon and I found this right away..

http://tinyurl.com/o8or9m4

Of you DO tap into the tail lights like I did, you will need a 4 wire module to convert the XJs wiring to a 4 bulb system that most trailers have. Or, you won't have brake lights on your trailer. lol.
Old 02-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by diskman
Yes, there is a plug and play adapter for your XJ. I believe the harness runs behind the spare tire panel. Once you remove the panels there will be 2 connectors.

Of you DO tap into the tail lights like I did, you will need a 4 wire module to convert the XJs wiring to a 4 bulb system that most trailers have. Or, you won't have brake lights on your trailer. lol.
that's exactly what i was looking for. i don't know why i had such a hard time digging this up myself.
Old 02-09-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by diskman

That's the exact same one I used on my '96.