Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

accessories/blower motor wont work????

Old 12-27-2013, 05:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l
Default accessories/blower motor wont work????

ok my wife has a 95 xj and shes had nothing but issue after issue. first it was the window switch then the ignition switch now none of the accessories work. ive check fuses and all are good. now the whole story, the fan has cause me lots of tearing hair out so i have been putting higher and higher fuzes (i know its bad but i didnt know what else to do first it worked... now none of the accessories or blower motor works and the fuse is fine. i am trying to get ther blower motor to work cuz its damn cold and her heater/defrost works it just wont blow the heat anywhere. i tried to jump the blower motor straight to the battery but it just arcs and the fan dont do anything does this mean fan is toast. second where do i look in this jeep to get the accessories back on if the fuze under the dash is good? she keeps yelling at me she wants the radio to work

Last edited by kilrspd; 12-27-2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

It is my belief that proper capitalization, correct spelling, use of paragraphs, all contribute to an easier to read and understand post. Your browser will assist you with spelling, you just have to pay attention and care.

Your post is mostly rant, difficult to understand, and likely why you've had no replies.

Good Luck!
Old 12-27-2013, 08:39 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Arcing is bad mmmmmkay. When you say it doesn't work does it not blow hot air or nothing comes out unless it's on high?
Year, trim, and info about your Jeep is crucial to giving helpful info.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:54 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

if the fan doesnt operate when supplied 12v. its most likely the motor/fan
Old 12-28-2013, 05:14 AM

I'm sorry if it sounded like a rant. I'll try it again so it's easier to understand. My wife bought a 95 Jeep Cherokee Sport 6 months ago with a few things that had issues. Since then, I've fixed most of them, the blower motor for the a/c and heater would blow just fine before except on high, then it started blowing fuses no matter what speed the fan was set to. So I started stepping up the lever of fuse by 5 amps(20 to 25 then to 30 ect ect). Then one day no matter what amp fuse I put in it would pop as soon as I plugged it in. Now, fuzes stay good but the dome lights, radio, the blower for a/c and heater (all speeds), and electric door locks don't work at all. I unplugged the stock wiring and connected a wire to the blower motor straight from the battery and the wire don't get hot, and as far as I can tell no blowing of the motor, nothing. Is the blower motor cooked and where should I start looking to get the other things back to working. Right now I'm mainly interested in getting the blower blowing high speed because here in Utah its been straight out cold and the windows wont stay clear. I've bought a 35 amp toggle switch and a fused wire(bladed style fuse 30 amp max) and just want a on/off switch for the blower motor. How many amps is to much for the blower motor? My plan is to run a fused wire from the battery positive post to the switch then to the blower motor, and one from negative post on the battery to the blower motor. Is this a good plan or should I have the switch switch on a solenoid to run the power instead???

Last edited by kilrspd; 12-28-2013 at 05:19 AM.
Old 12-28-2013, 05:39 AM

Engine: 4.0 I6

have you had the dash apart? especially behind the climate control? the fact that you kept upping fuses may have screwed some stuff up. that gauge wire can only handle so much.. if you melted any harnesses that could be your problem. but again if you supplied battery voltage to the motor and it didnt run. that motor has problems.
Old 12-28-2013, 06:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kilrspd
I'm sorry if it sounded like a rant. I'll try it again so it's easier to understand.

I'm really tempted to just let you stew in your own juice. The fact that you are obviously ABLE to write properly shows that the mess that was your first post was just due to pure LAZINESS, which is really disrespectful to the people you are asking to help you. You assumed it was just fine to spill out a mess of letters and just let us do the work of figuring out what it meant.

However, I'm going to jump in to helping you anyway, since you did make the effort the second time.

First this:

(i know its bad but i didnt know what else to do

Hopefully, lesson learned. When you don't know what to do, don't just do something, especially when you know that the something is a bad thing. (Now if we could just get our politicians to learn that lesson! )

It's very likely you have fried a bunch of wiring. Probably your blower motor was drawing too much current, which was blowing the fuse. (This could be for a number of reasons.) By upping the amperage on the fuse, you allowed more current to flow through that circuit than it was designed to handle. Thus, you probably melted some wiring. It also allowed whatever problem the motor had to continue to get worse, and now it's probably cooked beyond repair.

Your plan is actually pretty good at this point. Get a new blower, wire it up with your 35 amp toggle switch and a fused wire, and get some defrost action going. I understand about Utah winters - used to live there. Great place to live, in my book.

I doubt that motor needs to be fused at 30 amps, though. Just use whatever size was in your original circuit. It was plenty for the blower then, plus whatever else was on that circuit, right? So there's no reason to go bigger now.

You don't need a solenoid (relay) since you've already bought such a massive switch.

When warmer weather arrives, you'll need to get in behind that dash and do some repair work to some wiring, I expect. Meanwhile, you can at least get your defroster working, and work on understanding the wiring diagram.
Old 12-29-2013, 05:20 PM

ok, will do that this spring. Where do I find the wiring diagram for the dash?
Old 12-29-2013, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Is the switch on top of coloumn or up by the key on yours ?
Old 12-29-2013, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by freegdr
Is the switch on top of coloumn or up by the key on yours ?

Switch moved to key in 95, 94 was the last year of the old GM set-up.
If I member I have seen this problem on the forum and it leads back to the climate control at the dash.
Old 12-29-2013, 08:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 951 Likes on 767 Posts
Year: 1998 Classic (I'll get it running soon....) and 02 Grand

ok, will do that this spring. Where do I find the wiring diagram for the dash?

The FSM (Field Service Manual) is available in soft copy online. It has your wiring diagrams. It's money very well spent!

Here are two legitimate sources:

http://www.autobooksbishko.com/
https://www.techauthority.com/en-US/Pages/Home.aspx

Somebody else might have another source...

The great thing about having it in soft copy is that you can print out your diagram, then use a highlighter to trace out the circuit you are working on, and keep it with you while you're working. VERY helpful.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by highmileage
Switch moved to key in 95, 94 was the last year of the old GM set-up.
If I member I have seen this problem on the forum and it leads back to the climate control at the dash.
Its either switch in climate control or blower motor resistor issue but climate controls not going to affect accessories ......