Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC woes as temperatures rise!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 09:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC woes as temperatures rise!

So it's getting hot out here in the deserts of southern California, and my AC has never really worked since I bought the 1996 Cherokee Classic. When I turn it on, it only blows out of the top and bottom vents.

I find myself rolling down the windows and leaving the AC off, but now it's getting to be like a blow drier. Honestly it's not a "major" deal since my commute is very short, about 5-10 minutes from house to work. However whenever I want to go to "town" it is a bit annoying.

So I figure there is probably some blockage in the AC vent systems, and figured I could "tear apart" my front console and see if I can find the problem. >.> Although I'm not sure if I would want to put it back together after taking it off

Seeing as I want to eventually turn my jeep into rally I will end up taking it out anyways in the future.

The other idea I had was to remove my doors all together, and replace them with bar doors, but of course being in California I don't want my jeep stolen.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L HO

Probably have a vacuum leak some where allowing the vent selector (under the dash) to remain in the default position. Check the vacuum tubes under the hood and behind the front bumper. May have to search under the dash as well.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by djb383
Probably have a vacuum leak some where allowing the vent selector (under the dash) to remain in the default position. Check the vacuum tubes under the hood and behind the front bumper. May have to search under the dash as well.
Well my cruise control wasn't working because the lines were all chewed apart, and I just removed all the cruise control components because I never use cruise control. However that didn't affect the AC at all, the AC vacuum lines were on a different part of the motor.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

but the vacuum is stored for both in the vacuum ball
Old 05-05-2011, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
but the vacuum is stored for both in the vacuum ball
0.o I followed the vacuum lines they went from the engine, straight to the cruise control and to the ball, no other lines split off to anywhere else that I could see. Perhaps it was the part that got chewed off.

Hmm... so the AC is working fine, but the actuators to open or close the right vents isn't working probably because of the ball not being there and the lines were all chew up.

Seeing as I want to rebuilt my dash anyways, perhaps I can simply ignore these actuators and make up some new direct AC tube that just blows the air at me. >.> screw my passengers :P
Old 05-05-2011, 11:39 PM
CF Veteran

a vacuum, storage means has to be in the picture to hold the door open defrost is the factory default location for saftey
Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

tap into the line coming from the ball back to the lines on pass side firewall this link might tell you which line feeds the ac control on dash its a simple fix auto parts sell vacuum line bt the foothttp://www.jeep4x4center.com/knowled...ex.htm#service