Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC, What To Do?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 03:50 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Question AC, What To Do?

I have a 98XJ Limited & the AC's blown cold for years. It started this cold then not cold thing & took it to a shop down the road that did free AC inspections. He hooked it up to a machine, its blowing cold, the low pressure line is ice cold & he e-vaped the system. Before he took it off & stopped the e-vap, I gladly paid the $120 cause in Virginia Beach, AC is a must!

2 weeks later, same thing starts. Bring it back to him & says there's a leak somewhere. My 1st thought, if there's a leak then how could it blow cold then not? 2nd, what did the e-vap actually do? & 3rd, I have an "if I cant do it then it doesn't get done" approach to everything jeep related.

So should I run a can of dye through it, or just run a can of whichever leak sealer works the best & top off the system?

AC Pro worked on one of my cars that never had working AC, but this is my jeep & everything I do to it should be the right way & correct!!
Old 08-18-2015, 04:03 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

I had a similar issue. Would blow cold for first 20 minutes but once engine bay heated up, the clutch gap would widen and not be able to engage. I adjusted the clutch gap on compressor by removing a shim (washer). There is a specific gap that is required, as the clutch material wears, gap widens beyond spec.
I would find a write-up for you but must be off to work.
Old 08-19-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Question

Originally Posted by SteveMongr
I had a similar issue. Would blow cold for first 20 minutes but once engine bay heated up, the clutch gap would widen and not be able to engage. I adjusted the clutch gap on compressor by removing a shim (washer). There is a specific gap that is required, as the clutch material wears, gap widens beyond spec.
I would find a write-up for you but must be off to work.
Clutch is good. Turns on & off when its supposed to do, plus I put a new bearing in it a while ago & went thru the whole gap process already.

It has to be something else so has anyone on here used the dye method or a leak sealer & if so, what were the results?