Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ac recharge

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2012, 11:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder
Default ac recharge

My ac blows but it's not cold just Luke warm I tried buying stuff at Autozone to recharge the system but they sold some crap idk

What all do I need to recharge my ac?
Thx
Old 08-07-2012, 12:13 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

For an '89? That rolled out of the factory with R12. Unless it's been retrofitted to R134, you can't buy the correct refrigerant at Autozone. You can only get R12 recharged at an authorized shop, or get the EPA cert yourself and buy it on Ebay..
Has it been retrofitted? And exactly what did you add?

Oh, if you want to get your own EPA cert, its 609 that you need, test available here:
http://www.epatest.com/609/openbook/#

Last edited by Radi; 08-07-2012 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-07-2012, 01:51 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0l 6 cylinder

I think it's original
Y can't I service it myself it has two service ports
Old 08-07-2012, 03:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by stev-o
I think it's original
Y can't I service it myself it has two service ports
If it's still the original R12 (you can tell by the service fittings if nothing else), you have to either take it to an approved shop, or get the EPA cert so you can buy it yourself. R12 isn't available to the general public anymore.
Old 08-07-2012, 04:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: Renix 4.0

This is a converted system. Notice the quick connect valve stem on the low side.
Name:  downsized_0722121224a.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  34.5 KB
Old 08-08-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997 & 1998
Engine: 4.0

The main way to tell if it's an original R-12 system or if it's been converted is to look at the service ports. R-12 systems have a threaded valve and the 134A ones, the quick connect as shown in the previous post picture. R-12 was used up to 1996.

You were told correctly that if it's still an R-12 system that you cannot buy the refrigerant in this country thanks to the EPA, unless you find some cans still around at a swap meet. Expect to pay a premium price for it if you do. You will also need to find an obsolete R-12 recharge kit to do the job. They're not so easy to find.

You can convert the system to R-12 pretty easily. We, and other parts retailers, still sell conversion kits which consist of adapters to change the service ports to quick connects. The system needs then to be purged of R-12 and then refilled with 134A. The two refrigerants are not compatable together. It is a good idea to change the orifice tube and maybe the dryer, but not completely essential. It is technically illegal to just vent the old refrigerant into the air and you are supposed to have the refrigerant vacuumed out and this means going to a professional. So, I just can't say to do it, but most DIYers do just that (vent it out). Be careful not to breathe any of the freon in. It will hurt your lungs pretty badly. You also need to make sure that you replace the PAG oil that internally lubricates the system during a full recharge. Some of the replacement 134A cans have oil mixed, but most do not. Ask the parts guy which do and which do not. It is sold separately.

Most importantly, you must be careful not to overcharge the system which means using a recharging hose that contains a gauge. Two things happen when the system is overcharged. One is that the system shuts down via a switch that senses pressure and protects the compressor. Second is that you risk blowing O-rings and seals by having too much pressure in the system. On the average, you want to keep it below 50 pounds on the low side. Too little pressure and it won't cool. Too much and it won't work.

Please don't blame the products when you obviously don't know what the real reason for the issue is. Our a/c products are good, no worse than anyone elses. I don't mean to be insulting, but this is something very annoying and happens too frequently to us in the auto parts industry.
Old 06-28-2014, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by austinjoe13
This is a converted system. Notice the quick connect valve stem on the low side.
Is the valve on the rite the low pressure point?
Old 06-28-2014, 07:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Originally Posted by stev-o
My ac blows but it's not cold just Luke warm I tried buying stuff at Autozone to recharge the system but they sold some crap idk

What all do I need to recharge my ac?
Thx
Originally Posted by wjnfirearms
..........Please don't blame the products when you obviously don't know what the real reason for the issue is. Our a/c products are good, no worse than anyone elses. I don't mean to be insulting, but this is something very annoying and happens too frequently to us in the auto parts industry.
^^^^^^^^This pretty much nails it........the OP shouldn't blame someone else for his own lack of knowledge. To the OP......either educate yourself or seek professional help. That's why libraries and repair shops exist. Parts store folks have to go on the presumption that the person asking questions has at least a clue as to what they working on/trying to accomplish.

We overhauled our a/c using numerous parts from AutoZone 4 years ago.........a/c still blows coooooooold.

Last edited by djb383; 06-28-2014 at 08:39 PM.
Old 06-28-2014, 07:30 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I'm guessing that the blue in the middle is the low since it's different from the other two. (other than that I don't have a clue)

MAN! At first I thought SteveO was back from 2012!
Old 06-28-2014, 11:06 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I tried charging mine but it seems to be leaking out of the compressor... the compressor runs and it starts to blow cold air but you can hear hissing near the compressor and it just lets all the refrigerant out.

guess im lucky to have a 96, i didnt realize they changed to R134a that year.
Old 06-28-2014, 11:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

I believe r134a became mandatory with 1994 model year new cars in the US.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I put propane in mine. I had oil left in one of those cans, so I put it in the line that I hooked to the propane tank so it would blow in. It blows cold...I'm not sure it it's "up to snuff" though. I guess its common in Europe.

They add Mercaptin to propane to give it a smell so you know if it's leaking. Mercaptin is the same molecule rotting meat gives off, so if you ever see flies around your propane tank or lines you have a leak. I know nothing about fixing a leaky compressor!
Old 07-02-2014, 05:18 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0L 6 cyl

Anybody ever change a A/C compressor out?...Just got back from the garage..said my compressor seal is bad ...need a new compressor..plus new lines..wouldn't be a bad idea for a reservoir also...added up to about 750 bucks!....Could use some instruction here..as I really don't want to spend that kind of money...Any help would be greatly appreciated...Thanks in advance...
Jay in Spokane...
Old 07-02-2014, 08:50 PM

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

don't take it to a dealership! I don't know what to say about google reviews. Find an educated mechanic who works out of his house, so if he messes up you can go back....whenever you want.
Old 07-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0L

Gusjdj
If you aren't familiar with working on a/c systems save yourself the headache and pay to get it done. You need a set of manifold gauges, and a vacuum pump just for starters. The cost of those tools alone will surprize you. So my advice to you is unless you have a friend that already has those things, just pay the money and make sure they warranty thier parts and labor.

Quick Reply: ac recharge