Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC & idle issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2010, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L 6 cylinders
Default AC & idle issues

I have a '98 Jeep Cherokee Sport (4.0L engine). Overall the car runs great, I just have a couple of minor issues:

1) AC - the AC was running badly. In other words it was running for 20-30 mins and then it was stopping (humid air and bad smell). I looked this problem online and found it is very common. The root cause should have been the failure od the low pressure switch (that causes the evaporator to freeze). I went to Autozone and changed it. Now the AC works great, the only issue is that it is always working! Even if I put the **** in the normal ventilation position (just air, no AC) the AC keeps making cold air. Is there a reason for this?

2) IDLE - the second problem is idle related. When the weather is very hot and the car sits outside for a while, I turn on the car and drive. When I get to the traffic light, while the car is at idle, sometimes the engine turns off. What I see is all the gages (speed and rpm) go to max (while the car dies) and they come back to zero. Sometimes the check engine light comes on, but turns off after 5 mins. I restart the car, it takes 10 secs, but then it runs normal. Maybe at the next traffic light it does it again.... But again, this happens only when it is very hot. Another thing that happens is that, when I drive on the interstate and I keep constant speed, the car has like a hiccups. It seems like for 1 cycle it looses power, but then it gets it back immediately. Maybe this and the idle issue are related.....do you have any idea/suggestion?

Thanks!