Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AC Compressor Clutch Wires

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee
Default AC Compressor Clutch Wires

So the AC Compressor on my 01 XJ took a dump. I figured it's just a matter of time before my compressor failed too, so I ordered a new compressor from Four Seasons (P/N 67550). I took it to a shop, had the R134A evacuated, and swapped out the compressor.

Everything fits fine, but the only problem is with wiring the new compressor up. My old one had 3 wires coming from the harness. One was grounded to the body of the compressor, and the other two were attached to the clutch assembly coil.

The new compressor has only one lead coming out of the coil and one wire grounded. It didn't come with a new harness, (but that's what you get for buying a cheap remanufactured one, I suppose) so I have to splice the wires in. Since it looks like there's only one connector on the harness, I assume that the other wire coming out of the coil was looped back to the wire grounded to the body? In which case, I wouldn't have to attach those, because from what I understand the old systems had the clutch coil directly grounded to the body of the compressor, right?

Sorry for the long-winded explanation, I just wanted to be as detailed as possible.

Thanks