Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Ac bearing? clutch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 03:17 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Ac bearing? clutch?

So I have noticed for a week or two a whining noise from one of the pulleys on the belt route. Then started noticing low battery voltage when idling. I figured one of the pulleys wasn't spinning properly. Finally got around to messing with it and the ac compressor pulley is difficult to turn. Not sure if it is bearings, or clutch, or what. Don't know very much about ac parts so anything would help. Yes I need ac. And I would like to fix this as cheap as possible. thanks guys

click picture for video

Old 09-14-2011, 03:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

I just did mine about 2-3 months ago. $240.00 or so for the compressor. If you can't turn it by hand freely, it's probably the clutch, however-the clutch on my model 99' (what's your's)was more than a whole new compressor, so I had to bite the bullet. On earlier XJ's, I heard you can replace the clutch pretty easily, on later ones, it's just not worth the time, tools, and cost in my opinion.

In order for the warranty to be good on the compressor (most), you have to get a new orfice tube ($40.00, it's a line with a very small filter or orfice hole in it), flush service, and accumulator. Are they needed....It's hard to say. It depends on how bad the compressor is. Mine seized completely and the drive belt was smoking. So it didn't explode itself, the in reality-just the compressor may be needed (but you won't have a warranty). If it destroyed itself and threw all bits of itself in the lines (which I don't think there is a way of really knowing this happens. ) you may need to replace what I did.

I did a lot of research on the a/c here and didn't want to spend a dollar more than I needed to. I also didn't want to put $300 in part in (NOT under warranty) and have them blow in a day or two because something the size of an ant ******** blocked my orfice tube! I decided to have the warranty and replace JUST what I needed to do that.

I have a friend that owns a shop and I brought him the compressor and orfice tube (my advanced auto parts were cheaper than his) and he did the removal, labor, flush, accumulator ($60-80.00 I think), fan belt, and install. Normal price for his portion would have been $500 or so, I paid $325.00.

Because of the dam ozone layer, it's one of those thing you don't want to get caught doing (removing refrigerant w/o the tank and tools). There isn't a way to do /ac anything cheap unless you have friends in the a/c world.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of information on the forum on replacing the AC clutch. Search for it.

Here's my experience: https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/bad-ac-clutch-97572/

Replacing the clutch is a lot cheaper than replacing the compressor and not much more difficult. It also saves you having to charge the system again.

I did mine for about $86 and a couple of hours work.

Jeroen
Old 09-14-2011, 10:35 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996

thanks for the help guys, its a 96 by the way.

seems like one thing after another lately. ughh
Old 09-14-2011, 11:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

I picked up a compressor and clutch from a junk yard for 15$. has been working great for 18k miles...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, good link Jeroen! I was like j-rod though and saw it online for $200. man, I wish I would have known. I'm not too upset, I live in Floorida and now I never need to go above 2 click on the temp switch-even on the hottest day. My buddy put it on vacuum for an hour before he filled it.
Old 10-22-2011, 10:39 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default How to remove clutch center nut?

I'm having a similar issue with my '95 Country. I'm in the midst of getting it ready for the annual safety inspection and old man winter. Went to start it this afternoon and was greeted with an ear-shattering screech from the AC compressor. Upon further inspection, it appears that something is hanging up the clutch plate -- one edge of it is rubbing against the pulley even when the clutch is disengaged (in other words, the space around the clutch plate varies, instead of being uniform around the pulley circumference).

Looks like I need a new clutch, or at least need to pull this one apart to see if it can be salvaged. I've searched the forum for additional insight but haven't seen anyone else with this same problem. I'm a little unclear on how to loosen/remove the center nut -- how do I keep the clutch from rotating while loosening the nut? I have the puller tool mentioned in another thread but don't see how it would aid in removing the nut to begin with.

Thanks!
Old 10-23-2011, 02:03 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Default Can this clutch be saved?

A brief update to my query from last night. I took another, closer look at the clutch in better light and found that two of the three "fingers" (not sure if that is the correct term) that appear to hold the clutch plate away from the pulley are broken. I've attached a pic showing the difference -- the broken "finger" is circled in red at the bottom left of the pic, the remaining good "finger" is circled in red at the upper right.

It doesn't appear that this clutch can be saved, but I'm open to suggestions. Off to the jy, I guess...
Attached Images  
Old 10-24-2011, 04:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

you can get a pully and engagement spring at a wrecker for about 10 to 20 bucks. A new bearing at the parts store for 38$. if the bearing in the pully from the wrecker is in good shape you saved 38$.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:21 PM

Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by jeffhambone
A brief update to my query from last night. I took another, closer look at the clutch in better light and found that two of the three "fingers" (not sure if that is the correct term) that appear to hold the clutch plate away from the pulley are broken. I've attached a pic showing the difference -- the broken "finger" is circled in red at the bottom left of the pic, the remaining good "finger" is circled in red at the upper right.

It doesn't appear that this clutch can be saved, but I'm open to suggestions. Off to the jy, I guess...
Man this exact thing happened to mine! how did you fix it? my ac still works great but its annoying when i hear the engagement plate scratching on the outside of the pulley.... I tried to remove the pulley but couldn't figure it out. Whats the best way to remove the outer bolt without turning the clutch?

Last edited by imjakethesnake; 09-02-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990

If you can live without ac, the cheapest easiest fix would be buy a belt for a non ac jeep and put it in bypassing your ac.
Old 09-08-2014, 12:24 PM

I have a wobbly AC compressor pulley. AC works fine.....but I know it's only a matter of time. Is it possible to just replace the bearing? DO I need to exhaust the system or can it be done without a full AC service.
Old 09-08-2014, 02:00 PM
kgm
CF Veteran

Year: 99

There's an ebay seller who sells the bearing, and clutch plates, as well as the magnetic coil. I just did mine. It took a few hours since I had to run to the store but its relatively easy. If you have an air ratchet or electric ratchet, it'll help bust that frontside nut loose. You need a 3 jaw puller to pull the main pulley off, and I'd probably have a machine shop install the bearing since it's huge and probably half the total price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/231291390926?_trksid=p2059210.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
I'd go out and double check which AC you have, but this is where I got mine. Noise is gone, and everything is groovy again! I also recharged my system and its blowing nice and cold.