Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

ABS problem

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default ABS problem

Well, Im new to jeeps and this just happened today im my way to my parents house, its raining and now the abs constantly turns on when i brake. same feeling as when you slam on your brakes in snow so your wheels dont lock up. any idea what could be causing this, this is all under regular load of braking.

btw the jeep is a 94 xj
Old 11-22-2010, 06:07 PM

Not sure what year ur xj is...but contact ur local jeep dealer as there is an open recall on certain xj's abs system...something to do with the pump running all the time
Old 11-22-2010, 06:09 PM

Sorry...noticed its a 94
Old 11-22-2010, 06:39 PM

yea its a 94, and one more thing the abs light does not go on at all when this happens
Old 11-22-2010, 07:14 PM

can i just disable the abs? but still have power assisted brakes?
Old 11-22-2010, 10:30 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Di3soft
can i just disable the abs? but still have power assisted brakes?
That is exactly what I did on my 98. If your's has the same set up as mine, I just pulled the 2 relays and 1 fuse in the power distrobution box and my brakes work fine without them. No problems since.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

^ pull the relays and fuses. the brakes will still work it just takes the power away from the abs. just look out for little oriental ladies who speed up for yellow lights then slam on the brakes at the last second. happend saturday to me. didnt have abs, slid for like 20 feet right into the back of her. she was pissed and said i crushed her bumper. even though the bottom of my bumper is 4 inches above hers
Old 11-23-2010, 01:50 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: I6 4.0 HO

Hrmm... I don't think the '94 had the same recall as my '90 and '91. But I yanked out the complete brake system, ABS included, and put in a system from a '95-'96 model and all is soooo much better.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by 1armyguy
That is exactly what I did on my 98. If your's has the same set up as mine, I just pulled the 2 relays and 1 fuse in the power distrobution box and my brakes work fine without them. No problems since.
Originally Posted by krawlthis
^ pull the relays and fuses. the brakes will still work it just takes the power away from the abs. just look out for little oriental ladies who speed up for yellow lights then slam on the brakes at the last second. happend saturday to me. didnt have abs, slid for like 20 feet right into the back of her. she was pissed and said i crushed her bumper. even though the bottom of my bumper is 4 inches above hers

Thanks guys, can you tell me which fuses and relays to pull please, and will it set off the abs light?
Old 11-23-2010, 11:05 AM

just looked in the fuse box and all the relays and fuses have already been pulled for the abs system, now im confused
Old 11-24-2010, 12:07 AM

Hrmm.. Plug in some fuses/relays and see what happens? If they're not there then there's something else probably wrong. The Check ABS light on the dash is an indicator for more than a few things, I'll grab my manual to confirm in the morning. Do a search here and you may find more info.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:24 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

Have you considered ditching the ABS for a dual diaphram booster? Its way more reliable than any ABS system and provides a lot more brake pressure. Not to mention if something goes wrong its easier to diagnose and way cheaper to fix. Think it took me about 2-3 hrs to convert mine. Probably the best upgrade I've done and I've heard a lot of guys say the same.
Old 11-24-2010, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by EVcherokee
Have you considered ditching the ABS for a dual diaphram booster? Its way more reliable than any ABS system and provides a lot more brake pressure. Not to mention if something goes wrong its easier to diagnose and way cheaper to fix. Think it took me about 2-3 hrs to convert mine. Probably the best upgrade I've done and I've heard a lot of guys say the same.
I also recommend doing this if you can. It brakes differently than ABS did for me but I got used to it and like it a lot more now.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by EVcherokee
Do you remember what exactly you had to get to convert your system over?

Thanks
Old 11-24-2010, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by 1armyguy
Do you remember what exactly you had to get to convert your system over?

Thanks

Id like to know this also, and I have no abs light on im guessing they disconnected it when after they pulled the relays and fuses on the abs system

Quick Reply: ABS problem