Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

AAL Quessie

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992, 2- 1998 (All 3, 4 Doors)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L in all
Default AAL Quessie

So I have a RC 3" AAL lift kit, and I'm trying to put it on a HD replacement leaf assy. from Quadratec... I got the extended pins and new leaf clips...

How in the hell am I supposed to put this thing together right? The directions suck [donkey] and I have no clue if I'm to take this whole g-damned thing apart or what... So who knows the correct answer, and who has pics of how to do it...

It's either you guys or I have to call Quadra in the a.m. and ask them all this juicy crap, and I trust y'all more...

And yes, before you start wondering, I am putting half of the thing together in my living room.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

i think they did the same thing on an episode of "extreme 4x4" . im pretty sure they ripped it all out and just replaced it all how many new leafs did you get in the kit?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

I per side... And the AAL is longer than the short leaf on my spring pack, hence the questions...
Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Anyone?

(And yes, that was my lame excuse to BUMP! lol)
Old 10-14-2009, 10:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

Okay... first you should assemble it main leaf.. then the longest to shortest..

The AAL should be the second longest leaf in the pack... If its not send the POS back and get a long AAL, hopefully from someone better than RC...

If you are doing it on the ground.. just stack the leaves in the correct order on their sides. Then clamp then together with a pair of C-clamps. Tighten the clamps until you can get the pins in. I never use the pins... I get grade 8 5/16ths inch socket head cap screws. You can just crank them down to suck the leaves together and saw off the excess screw length afterwords. The socket head will fit right into the spring pad.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by whowey

The AAL should be the second longest leaf in the pack... If its not send the POS back and get a long AAL, hopefully from someone better than RC...

If you are doing it on the ground.. just stack the leaves in the correct order on their sides. Then clamp then together with a pair of C-clamps. Tighten the clamps until you can get the pins in. I never use the pins... I get grade 8 5/16ths inch socket head cap screws. You can just crank them down to suck the leaves together and saw off the excess screw length afterwords. The socket head will fit right into the spring pad.

Yeah, what he said. The AAL should be installed in the leaf pack under the next longer leaf with the rest of the shorter leafs in order below it. A quick trick to keeping the centering holes lined up while clamping them is to run a piece of round stock or threaded rod through all the leafs and then clamp them together. Basically use it the same way a line up tool works for a clutch.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987
Engine: 242 inline six

Originally Posted by whowey

X2 go longest to shortest,the full length AAL or better than the shortys.
Old 10-14-2009, 10:32 PM
CF Veteran

Thnx y'all... I got some info from Muddeprived and Mudderoy earlier... But I do have to say I like that 5/16th cap screw idea though....I'm just kinda concerned with the old spring clamps... They kinda look like they have a rivet going thru them...
Old 10-14-2009, 10:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The riveted clamp should only attached to the one leaf. Otherwise the pack would not be able to slide against itself and flex.