Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 XJ has absolutely no power...

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default 99 XJ has absolutely no power...

So, my beautiful XJ was running like a champ yesterday, no problems whatsoever. Went to run to the local 4th of July parade this morning and it wouldn't starts.

The initial symptoms were as follows: I inserted the key with the door open. The door open dingy went off when I turned the key but there was NO power going to the ignition. I tried to crank it but nothing happened. The gauges fluttered but eventually just died. At no point was the radio getting power. So, I turned the lights on to check and see if they were getting power. This might be where I made my mistake. As soon as I turned on the lights there was a weird noise from the dash and then nothing. I went and checked the front lights and they were on very dimly.

Current symptoms: I left in another vehicle for a couple of hours and came back. There is currently no power to ANYTHING. No lights, horn, dash, door dingy, etc.

I'm thinking the CPS or NSS. Any thoughts on how to proceed or what the problem may be?
Old 07-02-2011, 06:22 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0

Charge your battery. Start your jeep and test your voltage at the battery, should be 13.5-14.5 volts meaning your alternator is charging. Test this first you said it was running fine yesterday probrably something simple like your battery or alt. Just a thought.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:38 PM

Year: 1996

Battery is charged and almost brand new. I'll test the alternator but if the battery has a full charge and I'm still not getting ANYTHING... I would suspect it's probably not the alternator, right? Aside from that, the alternator is only a year old.
Old 07-02-2011, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

If you don't have power going to anything at any point inside now I'd start with checking all battery cables and connection points, and fuses inside the engine bay as well as in the cab, also the battery condition as stated.

I'm betting you're going to find something interesting if you start there.

Good luck and keep it updated as you find stuff or rule things out!
Old 07-02-2011, 06:58 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1999

It's not the alternator that's causing the problem if the battery is fully charged. I would first check the battery connections carefully and check starter and ground connections on the battery cables. It sounds to me like a bad connection.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:12 PM

Year: 1993

Those are the first steps in eliminating a no power situation not a diagnosis. If battery has been load tested and alt is charging with no assumptions made but a physical test then you move on to checking fuses, wires etc.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:27 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988

mine just did the same thing...hit the starter with a hammer or something. not hard just a heavy tap. Mine was stuck, and tried jump start, checked all connections replaced battery, finally got mad and hit it with a hammer. now it works like a champ.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

If the battery is holding a charge, its NOT the alternator. A bad alternator will KILL the battery (and if you had it running the day before with no issues this doesnt sound like an alternator). It wont charge it (thats all the alternator does) and hence the vehicle will suck the juice of the battery dry, usually over a short period of time. Youll usually notice it going. Youve probably got a bad connection somewhere, a blown fuse or dead starter.

FIRST thing you do is have someone else help you check the starter. Have them turn the key like theyre turning it over and then you tap on the starter with a screwdriver handle, etc. Just a tap. Have them keep the key turned and you tap on it a few times in a row, going progressively harder. If nothing, then it MIGHT not be the starter (that trick doesnt always work). Now move on to checking connections, fuses, etc. However, if you have NO POWER now, that isnt starter related. Thats a connection of some sort.....IF your battery is, in fact, charged and working.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:27 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 litre 6 cylinder

Ah if your gauges are goin up then dieing, and your lights are dim, it is either the battery, or the connections

Try jump Starting it!!!!!!
If it starts its your battery, if it still doesn't start then its your connections, if it was the starter, you would still have full lights gauges etc, it just wouldn't start.