Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 XJ Cruise and air vent issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: '97 and '99
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 XJ Cruise and air vent issue

99 XJ cruise and air vent problem. Cruise will not engage and after driving for about an hour air barley blows out of dash vents. I can hear the blower going strong. All the posts I read makes it appears as a vacuum leak however searched for a leak many times, no apparant leak, also when I disconnect the vacumn line at any of the Ts and at the servo I get a suction release even after the engine is turned off so it appears the system is holding air. Could there be a vacuum leak in the dash. Does it appear that the cruise problem is associated with the vent problem. After the engine if off for a few minutes I can usually get air out of the dash vents again.

Appreciate any replies.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:23 PM

yes
Old 06-03-2013, 01:24 PM

[QUOTE=XJjeepster;2490004]99 XJ cruise and air vent problem. Cruise will not engage and after driving for about an hour air barley blows out of dash vents. I can hear the blower going strong. All the posts I read makes it appears as a vacuum leak however searched for a leak many times, no apparant leak, also when I disconnect the vacumn line at any of the Ts and at the servo I get a suction release even after the engine is turned off so it appears the system is holding air. Could there be a vacuum leak in the dash. Does it appear that the cruise problem is associated with the vent problem. After the engine if off for a few minutes I can usually get air out of the dash vents again.

Appreciate any replies.
Old 06-03-2013, 01:57 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

When you check for vacuum leaks did you check the vacuum ball under the front bumper on the passenger side for cracks or loose vacuum hoses?
Old 06-04-2013, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
When you check for vacuum leaks did you check the vacuum ball under the front bumper on the passenger side for cracks or loose vacuum hoses?
Yes I took the bumper end cap off and the ball looked fine and no visible cracks in the hose or the ball. Also took the cruise on off switch and brake light switch out of my '97 (cruise works on my '97) and put it in this '99, no luck on the cruise working so know its not the cruise on off switch or the brake light switch. Power is supplied to the cruise thru the brake light switch however I did read a '97 cruise control swtich is not the same for a '99 but looked identical to me.
Old 06-04-2013, 08:38 AM
CF Veteran

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L 162,000

Originally Posted by XJjeepster
...I did read a '97 cruise control swtich is not the same for a '99 but looked identical to me.
They look the same but the resistor values are different and are not interchangeable.