Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 np 242 TC N-fulltime shifting grind?

Old 07-20-2017, 02:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default 99 np 242 TC N-fulltime shifting grind?

if im throwing the TC shifter from Neutral to 4 fulltime i get very quick grinding noise like something in there is still spinning. The transmission is in neutral while doing this, vehicle at a dead stop.

what the heck is going on?
Old 07-20-2017, 03:55 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990

Originally Posted by 4x4jeepmanthing
if im throwing the TC shifter from Neutral to 4 fulltime i get very quick grinding noise like something in there is still spinning. The transmission is in neutral while doing this, vehicle at a dead stop.

what the heck is going on?
You are not shifting it at is was designed to be shifted.

Here's how the factory suggests you shift the transfer case and I've been doing this since these things were new and I worked at the dealership. Quoted from the owner's manual. The suggestions in CAPS are mine.

"To engage, shift the transfer case lever from 2H to 4H while the vehicle is moving at any legal speed". I LET OFF THE GAS, THROW THE LEVER, TAP THE GAS AND LET OFF.

4L position: " To engage, slow the vehicle to 2-3 MPH , shift the transmission to Neutral, then shift the transfer lever to the right and pull firmly rearward to 4L".

TO SHIFT OUT OF 4L, SHIFT THE TRANSMISSION INTO NEUTRAL WITH THE VEHICLE STOPPED, SHIFT THE TRANSFER CASE LEVER TO 2H, THEN THE TRANS TO D IF YOU HAVE AN AUTOMATIC, OR INTO FIRST GEAR WITH A MANUAL, AND CONTINUE ON.

Revised 11/20/2014
Old 07-20-2017, 06:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99

Everything in caps is where the issue lies. Say I'm in 4lo, stopped vehicle, trans in Neutral, then shift to 2H. In the t.v. passing from N to full time I get the noise. Full time to part time to 2H is just fine. Old why it's this transition because it's a new sound and isn't normal.
Old 07-20-2017, 07:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 56 Likes on 41 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0l

I am also curious with this as shifting out of 4lo it grinds with the same process you said. But i havent tried it moving.... Also i wonder if its safer to shift it when you turn the engine off and let the gears slow down then shift when the engine if off. They arent synchronized correct?