Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99' Coil

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 12:55 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 L
Default 99' Coil

Got the head back on my jeep and everything that goes with it. Unfortunately it still will not start so I'm in diagnostic mode.
Here is what I have checked so far.
  • Double checked all electrical connections
  • Fresh battery + using a 225amp jump start charger which didn't help
  • let the battery sit on charge 10amp for a couple of hours
  • 40psi at the fuel rail with key on
  • Tried dumping gas in the intake,no go...
I have come to the conclusion that I must not be getting spark or worst case the engine is partially seized,it turns fairly slow in my opinion, but I am hoping it could be either the coil, starter or crank sensor rather than the partially seized option.
Given the cheap a@# route I took in not getting the head worked over by a machine shop I suppose I could also not be getting compression which I will check in the morning weather permitting.Until then I have the coil out of the jeep and am hoping somebody can point me in the right direction in testing this thing with a multimeter.

Process according to the Haynes manual
Test procedure step 1
"Using an ohmmeter set on the high resistance scale,connect the positive lead to the primary terminal and the negative lead to the ground.The ohmmeter should indicate infinite resistance.If it doesn't ,replace the coil."

Ok my ohmmeter goes to 20M ohm so I assume that's the "high scale" and the reading I get is 0.00. I am not sure what infinite should look like on an ohmmeter but I am guessing that 0.00 would be it unless I am using the wrong scale or too high of a scale.If I am correct? then the coil passes this step.

Test procedure step 2
"Using low resistance scale,connect the ohmmeter positive lead to the positive primary terminal and the negative lead to the negative terminal.The ohmmeter should indicate zero(or nearly zero)resistance.If it doesn't,replace the coil."

At 200ohm ( lowest it goes to on my multimeter ) I get 3.6 meaning the coil fails this step and is bad?
In all honesty I for some reason had a couple different readings one of which was 1.8 and another of 5.4 but 3.6 was the most consistent after multiple attempts at doing this step.

Test Procedure Final Step
"Using the high resistance scale,connect the ohmmeter negative lead to the negative primary terminal and the positive lead to the high voltage terminal.The ohmmeter should not indicate infinite resistance.If it does,replace the coil."

OK so again at 20M ohm I get 0.01 which if 0.00 is infinite then 0.01 would be damn close to infinite meaning again the coil fails?

Since this is a single coil with a single 2 pin connector I assumed that one pin of the connector was + and the other was - ,I can not ground to the body of the coil since it is encased in plastic so the positive primary terminal is the left terminal on the plug connector and negative terminal is the one on the right ( in my mind any ways ) and the high voltage terminal is where the coil to distributor cap wire connects. I think the +/- terminal really does not matter since I got the same exact readings for each step when switching the leads.

The main point of this post........Am I correct to conclude that I have a bad coil which could be the cause of my no start situation?

I would appreciate the help.
Thanks

Last edited by Spoonman; 11-17-2011 at 01:02 AM.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:40 AM
Seasoned Member

Any help please?
Old 11-17-2011, 11:48 AM
Seasoned Member

I did a quick set of compression readings today.I still need to figure out why I am not getting any spark however the compression readings are not good.
I had to do the test cold obviously but I dont think it would matter much.Turns out that just throwing the head on without having it machined bit me in the rear end.I knew there was better than a great chance it would but any ways these are the readings I got. They are pretty much all over the place.

CYL 1 - 60psi
CYL 2-75psi
CYL 3-0psi
CYL 4-100psi
CYL 5-100psi
CYL 6-25psi

I think I should have done what I was going to do and have the valve job done before installing the head.

Well it was worth a shot any how I guess..back to the drawing board.Guess I will be well versed at removing the head on this thing.