Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 Cherokee xj kick down cable problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 99 Cherokee xj kick down cable problem

Hello once again guys ,
I noticed recently that my transmission kick down cable was a bit frayed and needed replacing . I went to my local junk yard and found one in great shape ! Now my dilemma .....how do I remove it from the transmission , I followed the cable to where it goes in into the transmission and took out the 10mm bolt but could not get it to unhook , my question is how do I get it released from the transmission internal clip or whatever it's attached to , do I need to drop the oil pan ? So once again I am relying on all your expertise !

Thanks again for your time
Steve
Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

There is a cam type of thing inside the tranny that the cable fits around, so yes you need to drop the pan to get to it. The hardest part for me was actually dropping the pan, cuz that dip stick tube gave me fits... the actual cable wasn't hard to figure out, once I could see how it went together.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:41 PM

Thank you brother, your expertise is greatly appreciate ! Someone else also gave me this link and it showed a detailed description as to what to do.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...eplacement.htm

Thanks again everyone, you guys are always spot on!
Old 04-27-2015, 07:50 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,526 Likes on 1,238 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Lunchman
Thank you brother, your expertise is greatly appreciate ! Someone else also gave me this link and it showed a detailed description as to what to do.

http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...eplacement.htm

Thanks again everyone, you guys are always spot on!
And just so you know, that's not a kickdown cable but a Throttle Valve cable.
Old 04-28-2015, 05:56 PM

Thank you cruiser, your time is appreciated my friend.
Old 05-22-2020, 08:20 PM

I'm going to answer on this older thread instead of starting a new one because it has some valuable information especially in regard to the link which I used to start my research. I also went to the salvage yard to get a new cable. Mine was frayed as well. Luckily, someone had taken a transmission down so everything was fairly apparent. Cable was still attached as well. So the engine part is fairly easy. Following the cable down, you'll have to contend with a wire loop on top of the transmission which you can't see unless the transmission is down, like at the salvage yard. That metal loop holds the cable in place. It opens up on the passenger side. I tugged real hard from the top and learned the way the cable opened because the plastic piece that drops down into the transmission forced it open. I did not remember how to open that loop from my salvage yard exploit.
Transmission pan gasket came from NAPA. You will have to lead the new cable down from the passenger side top and lead it over the transmission to the driver side. My transmission pan separated with a bit of difficulty at the dip stick tube.
One other point, inside the transmission, the cable slides into a cam as described. The vehicle I took the cable off had a solenoid that needed to be removed before ai could get at the cam. The solenoid just slid out as there's a rubber o ring around it. My 2001 did not have this solenoid in the way.
Further, the cable end sits in a groove in the cam. The end does not just slide out from the top, but sideways. That locks it in place. My friend said it reminded him of a motorcycle cable.