Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

99 Cherokee rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 11:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 99 Cherokee rebuild

I am going to rebuild my son’s 99 Cherokee. It started chewing distributor gears. I removed the motor and was going to put new cam and bearings and put it back together. But in the process the middle bearings are loose in the journals. So I have decided to take it to a machine shop to see if it possibly needs to be bored to a bigger size. This would explain the chewing of the distributor gear. I have disassembled the rest of the lower end and the main bearings look fine. However the rod bearings are showing brass on the topside bearing on all six rods so I know these need to be replaced. My thought is to replace rod and main bearings and rings. I am finding the top main bearings are standard and bottom bearings are .001 undersize. No luck finding .001 undersize. My question is will standard size work for both top and bottom for the main bearings. Also what is acceptable when I plasti gauge the rod and main bearings when I reinstall? Any pointers that might help are greatly appreciated.