Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

2001 xj tail light wiring harness

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default 2001 xj tail light wiring harness

So I didn't have lights on my right tail light. After googling a lot and reading up on it I realized it had to be bad wiring. I took out the back paneling and found that the harness was pretty much completely rotted. I pulled out the turn signal, brake, and driving wires and match them up and taped them together for the time being. I've tried to find what kind of parts I could get to replace both ends of the harness, but i'm not having much luck. I found this, which seems to be what I would need from the light side
http://www.partstrain.com/store/deta...iABEgLnnPD_BwE
but i'm not sure about the other side, it needs replaced too.
I noticed too, that there seems to be one extra wire coming in on that side, so i'm not sure if its possible to cut and hardwire it.
Any suggestions? I tried to look at the wiring chart, but I can't seem to identify where this harness is and all the wires coming in.
Attached are pics of both sides of the harness.

light side

connector coming from the front

the brake light wire came right out of the side that is coming from the front of the jeep

Thanks
Old 06-08-2019, 03:45 PM

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Hi all,

I, too, am having the same problem.

The connectors are corroded out just like the OP.

And, I'm not finding any NEW parts listing.

While I am sure I can harvest from a junkyard, is there any place selling new?

In the meantime, I expect to cut, clean and direct connect...

Anyone with wisdom for us...?

Thanks all,

Steve @ BS Ranch
98 XJ
Old 06-08-2019, 08:04 PM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
Year: 98, 00, 01 and another 01
Engine: both 01 jeeps have viper coil pack

Do you have a friend with an XJ who lives close to you so you can take some pics of his wiring?
Old 06-09-2019, 09:12 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

That particular harness in my 2000 XJ went up in flames so I had NO connectors left! I just butt spliced the wires together after getting a connector out of a wreck just so I could figure out the color codes. Be advised the color codes don't always continue on both sides of the connectors! The other side harness shorted out as well because the trailer lighting module fried. The cause of this mess was rust holes in the wheelwells letting water into the areas behind the side panels. Salt water off the road, to make matters worse. It took me from Christmas 'til the end of February working in single digit cold to get it sorted out.
Old 06-09-2019, 09:16 AM

It turns out there's a fellow down the road that might be of help.

For now I'm thinking of simply cutting the connectors off and matching wires, there's not so many to match.

As an aside thought, the connector in that location must simply have been for assembly ease; if designed for repair ease the harness would have extended to the socket/bulb housing.

Further, now I know that section of the body needs rust repair...sigh...

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 06-09-2019, 09:39 AM
Old fart with a wrench

Received 723 Likes on 628 Posts
Year: 2000 XJ Sport & WJ Laredo
Model: Grand Cherokee (WJ)
Engine: 4.0L

As I said though, Match the wires cavity to cavity, not by color codes. I don't remember exactly which ones it was, but one wire, say green with a yellow stripe, went in on one corner of the connector, but the same color wire came out the OPPOSITE corner on the other half of the connector. What I wound up doing was pulling the tail light assembly loose and finding out which wire on the sockets did what, then labeled them inside the body. Then turned the flashers on and found which wire had the pulsing current, connected them. Then the tail lights on, found the hot wire and connected them, etc, until all I had left was the brakes. I connected them and they worked. Matching wires by color codes was frustrating because nothing worked right. By the time I got them all to work, I had to add short sections to what was left of the original wires to have enough length to connect them. I just used crimp connectors because I couldn't solder in the cold, then used liquid electrical tape.

After getting the wiring right, I used plastic trash bags to cover the rust holes, then put parts of a shipping pad inside the body to hold the bags in place, finishing with more plastic behind the wires. They've stayed dry in the torrential rainstorms we've had in April and May. Maybe someday I'll get around to replacing the sheet metal. It's that badly rusted. The flares are in my garage.

Last edited by dave1123; 06-09-2019 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-10-2019, 05:44 PM

Good advice, which I followed to the letter..everything works...(thank you)...

...except for this one wire...

This one wire on the main harness side did not have a match on the tail assembly harness side and it appears to go nowhere as everything is working.

And, indeed, there's a big rust hole below that led to all this, a later fix.

Any ideas on the sixth wire to nowhere? For an accessory or load I don't have?