Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 xj starts with nss unplugged

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2018, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default 98 xj starts with nss unplugged

Back in Feb. I got a transmission replaced in my xj. Since then things have been a headache. Basically one thing after another. However on one of my visits to the mechanic he checked the Check engine light and it came up with the n.s.s. He said that the switch was bad. I didn't see the scanner or the code but I took the jeep home, took out the nss and cleaned it out how the write ups say to do it. Everything was nice, clean and put back together for the c.e.l. to still be there.

With the 500lbs of grease in the engine bay I didn't notice the plug for the nss on the chassis side of the plug (the female side) that the cables were frayed, and contacting each other. I replaced the plug and soldered in a new one. Upon wanting to make sure everything was ok, I put the car in D and tried to start it. The ****er started. To make sure it wasn't the Nss I unplugged the Nss and again, it started. I even unbolted G106 to help narrow it down.

I've been looking at the diagrams and trying to figure out how and why its starting. I'm not an elechicken but from my understanding of things, the relay cant trip the started motor unless its getting a ground.

Any ideas on where it could be grounding? Or things to check? Any and all help or advice is greatly appreciated. I'm not sure if it makes a difference but It was originally a 2wd xj that was 4x4 swapped. They should have the same wiring / computer tho?
Old 06-17-2018, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

It shouldnt even crank in Drive, let alone start. Is the shift interlock plugged in? Its job is supposed to prevent the operator from starting the engine in any gear but Park and Neutral.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:17 PM

It would appear I have an issue with that. I can remove the key from any position. However everything else seems to function fine. The part that concerns me is I can start the vehicle in any gear, even with the nss. Entirely removed and unplugged from the vehicle. Tho, it does not like this and sounds like it wants to explode. I'll try to readjust the shift interlock when I get home and see if they're any improvement.

Also, I've honestly never tried to start it in any gear before, with that said how does the Jeep keep you from starting? Does it keep you from turning the key into start, or does it go into start but fails to get a ground and just doesn't crank?
Old 06-17-2018, 05:38 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

if the nss is not adjusted properly it could start in drive thinking its in neutral but when its completly unplugged thats odd unless the nss was bypassed with a clip in the connector from B and C .. but you redone that whole plug you would of spotted that.

marc

edit: with the nss unplugged it shouldnt crank at all but you are able to turn the key

Last edited by LadyKenai; 06-17-2018 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-17-2018, 06:18 PM
awg
CF Veteran

Received 602 Likes on 512 Posts
Year: 96
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

lots of people, including myself, have earthed out faulty NSS switches, until they can fix or obtain another part

I had to do this on another vehicle, where the NSS was NLA
did so at a relay,

would have been very hard to spot what I had done, even for a pro autolec
its not safe
Old 06-17-2018, 07:04 PM

I don't believe it to be the nss related since it still starts when the nss is unplugged. To confirm I put it in first gear (to rule out it being slightly out of alignment), unplugged the tcu, and the first 2 most forward plugs on the pcm. Jeep still starts.

Tomorrow I'm going to start undoing grounding wires to see if anything changes to narrow down a possible short in the wiring.
Old 06-17-2018, 07:13 PM

Model: Cherokee(XJ)

ok, im curious what is causing this i'll be following this post

marc
Old 07-01-2018, 02:59 PM

So I hooked the computer up to the jeep, and it showed me a few more codes than what my mechanic and autozone were showing me.

P0705 - Trans range sensor A circuit (nss)
P0740 - Torque Converter Clutch Circuit/open (not locking up or something)
P0505 - Idle Control System (rough idle, something i caused lol)
P1698 - No Transmission Bus Messages
P0700 - Transmission Control System [MIL Request] (maybe because I unplugged the TCU at some point?)

So one thing to add, my scanner showed 2 ecu's. One seemed to be a generic code ecu, and the other was a manufacture code ecu. I cleared both ecu's. Turned jeep over, and checked pending codes. Nothing showed in both.

I turned the jeep off, put it in gear, and cranked the key over. Nothing. I think the computers were just all ****ed in the head because everything above is acting fine now.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:00 PM

Sorry for the delayed response! To add, I didn't get a chance to mess with the grounds or anything due to work.
Old 07-01-2018, 03:49 PM
CF Veteran

Received 170 Likes on 158 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

Your diagram does not show a NSS it shows a "transmission range switch" which has switches for all the positions of the trans. It shows it switches not only for the N or P but also for all the other shifter positions. This is different than the 98 ZJ which has a "park/neutral position switch".
That being the case, are you disconnecting the range switch or something else? From the looks of it the only other thing I can think of is have you tried to pull the relay and see if it cranks? A stuck relay would do it.
May also probe across the coil on the relay or pull it and probe the socket where the coil terminals are, to see if it's energized (ON).

Last edited by 97grand4.0; 07-01-2018 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-01-2018, 06:01 PM

I replaced the relays in the engine bay fuse box with new ones and played musical chairs with them too and had the same thing. On Xj's with aw4's the range sensor doubles as the nss. However code p0740 is still an issue. After an ohm meter check I'm fairly certain its just the lock up solenoid. Since rewiring the nss/range sensor plug and clearing the computer nothing has thrown a code after a 10 mile drive. Except the lock up. But that'll be delt with.

So now I can put it in drive and try to start it and it keeps me from doing stupid ****
Old 07-01-2018, 07:06 PM
CF Veteran

Engine: 4.0, new lifters valve job with new springs and exhaust valves, preload set with shims

ok so it starts only in D or N now? Good deal.
Old 07-01-2018, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by 97grand4.0
Your diagram does not show a NSS it shows a "transmission range switch" which has switches for all the positions of the trans.
Same part. Different name. Ford does this, too. Carry on.
Old 07-02-2018, 05:50 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by fb97xj1
Same part. Different name. Ford does this, too. Carry on.
Actually, no. Totally different part between the Aw4 and 42/44re transmissions.