Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ Electrical Gremlins

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Angry 98 XJ Electrical Gremlins

Hello, I have a 98 XJ that is driving me crazy. It started about 5 months ago when my driver side running lights/turns signals quit working. I found a fuse and replaced it, but occasionally it would blow the same fuse. Then I got in one day and had no radio, no interior light and no gauges. I replaced the 16 fuse under the hood (IOD), but it will still get fried occasionally.

The previous owner had added some lights with switches he added to the dash so I removed any excess wiring and I was left with only the stock lights plus 2 off road lights mounted on the stock front bumper that work by a switch that was added to the dash and wired through the light switch so they will only work when at least the running lights are on. At this time I noticed a burning smell from the rear cargo area and found the cargo light had fried (see pic). Then the radio would only work when the door was closed, but the front dome light would glow softly when the radio was playing.

I have checked all grounds and cleaned them. I have unplugged the Remote Keyless Entry Module from the front dome light. I have unplugged the under hood light. I have tried a stock radio, this would only play on the driver side front speaker and would fade out after a few minutes. I disconnected the power to the aftermarket remote start and none of this has helped. I know I have a short somewhere, I just don't know how to find it or bypass it.
Attached Thumbnails 98 XJ Electrical Gremlins-cargo-light.jpg  
Old 03-09-2015, 02:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Looks like bubba was very busy dicking up your Heep. You'll probably need a Factory Service Manual to use the wiring diagrams to unf*** bubba's handy work. Try Pacific Coast Manuals .com. $7.95 for a pdf FSM.

Grounds of interest...who knows.

Name:  G106.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  74.5 KB
Old 03-09-2015, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

Start by unhooking the aux lites also. A weak switch certainly doesn't need more load on it.