Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 XJ AW4 Transmission Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 11:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 XJ AW4 Transmission Issues

Hey guys. I'm new to this, it's my first time on these forums. I have a 98 Jeep Cherokee Sport, it has 237K on original motor an trans. With all the snow up here in Wisconsin I got itchy to play in it an I beat my jeep quite a bit, climbing through banks and climbing a couple hills. It seemed to be handling it fine. I took it home an parked it for the night. Got up the next morning, let it warm up to temp, and went for a ride an when I came to a stop sign. The trans was in "D" of course. It was like it was in third gear, revved high before moving, but once it got going, it moved good, but it seemed as if OD wasn't kicking in either. I stopped it, an began manually shifting it an everything worked fine. But once back in "D" it hesitated at stops again and didn't go into OD. This goes on and off. Sometimes, it shifts smoothly from 1 to 4 sometimes, it does that same hesitation at stops. Also it seems at certain times, when I come to a stop an keep it in "D", rev it up a couple times, it'll kick into "D" an everything will work fine again. I'm quite stuck with this. I'm not sure if it's just the fluid, or something serious. I'm hoping it's not serious. I've been debating on replacing many different possibilities, I've searched around on forums to find the issue an I can never find my exact issue...if anybody has any answers, it'd be greatly appreciated. Sorry if this is quite long.
Old 01-30-2017, 07:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

1. Have you checked fluid level on the dipstick?

2. What is history of transmission fluid changes? Last one was.......?

3. What color is the fluid? It should be red in color and not smelling burnt.

4. Any check engine light seen? If so, codes must be retrieved for clues
Old 01-30-2017, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
1. Have you checked fluid level on the dipstick?

2. What is history of transmission fluid changes? Last one was.......?

3. What color is the fluid? It should be red in color and not smelling burnt.

4. Any check engine light seen? If so, codes must be retrieved for clues
yes fluid level is fine, I'm unsure on previous fluid change, I just got this about a month ago. Fluid looks old to be honest. I can tell it needs to be changed. Yes check engine light is on, but it's also on for o2 sensor and something else I can't remember.
Old 01-30-2017, 06:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 99 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by Reese.t
yes fluid level is fine, I'm unsure on previous fluid change, I just got this about a month ago. Fluid looks old to be honest. I can tell it needs to be changed. Yes check engine light is on, but it's also on for o2 sensor and something else I can't remember.
1. Fresh fluid is job #1. If you drain and fill, multiple iterations are usually necessary to clean things up. You only get part of the fluid out with this technique. Be sure to use Dex/Merc III compatible fluid, not ATF+4.

2. Pull codes and post the EXACT codes here for comment (not just a description). Codes are critically important to understanding what is going on with your XJ.
Old 01-30-2017, 08:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 333 Likes on 277 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Like said, fresh fluid is job #1. That, and codes.

Dont overlook or dismiss the engine grounds. Remove and clean/sand to bare metal, dont just look at them. There are two under the ignition coil for the PCM, TCM and the O2 sensors (G101), two on the driver side inner fender near the PCM for the NSS (G106), and another on the passenger side inner fender next to the battery, which is chassis ground (G100). There is another near the transmisission dipstick, for the DLC (G102).
Old 01-30-2017, 10:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

TPS
Old 01-31-2017, 01:51 AM

Originally Posted by tjwalker
1. Fresh fluid is job #1. If you drain and fill, multiple iterations are usually necessary to clean things up. You only get part of the fluid out with this technique. Be sure to use Dex/Merc III compatible fluid, not ATF+4.

2. Pull codes and post the EXACT codes here for comment (not just a description). Codes are critically important to understanding what is going on with your XJ.
P0700 was a trans code I got. I also got a TPS code, I have a tps I can get my hands on from a 96 will that work with my 98? I cleared the codes today an the trans did a lot better.. it still happened once, I pulled over, shut the jeep off, turned it back on an it ran fine again. I can't tell if OD is working or not when I'm having the issue. I'm pretty sure it isn't because it sits at 1700rpms at 55 when running fine and 2100 at 55 when it's having the issue. Thank you for the input by the way.
Old 01-31-2017, 05:36 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996

TPS
Old 01-31-2017, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Reese.t
P0700 was a trans code I got. I also got a TPS code, I have a tps I can get my hands on from a 96 will that work with my 98? I cleared the codes today an the trans did a lot better.. it still happened once, I pulled over, shut the jeep off, turned it back on an it ran fine again. I can't tell if OD is working or not when I'm having the issue. I'm pretty sure it isn't because it sits at 1700rpms at 55 when running fine and 2100 at 55 when it's having the issue. Thank you for the input by the way.

I think you'll find that a '96 TPS will not work in a '98 application.

Round pins vs. flat pins.
Old 02-01-2017, 08:07 AM
jpk

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Possible solenoid issue? That's a lot of miles on that AW4 if it is original to the XJ.
Old 03-04-2017, 12:42 AM

Well I've narrowed it down to something with the TCM. Whenever the issue happened I used to shut it off an it'd be fine. I've learned unplugging the TCM an plugging it back in will make it last longer without the issue. However it still comes and goes. I've cleaned grounds an it seemed to help but it still happens. I've noticed lately it'll happen as I'm coming to a stop, unnoticed. An once I gas away from the stop it hesitates I get impatient an gun it an it kicks back on an works fine. I'm still having this issue an it's quite frustrating. I am trying to fix it before spring comes along. I'd like to play in the mud a bit without the issue getting me stuck...
Old 03-09-2017, 08:42 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 junk yard mtr w/178k

I am having this same issue right now. Just got it back from fluid and trans filter kit change. The problem is still there. When the fluid (Dexron) got changed, mine was not that bad. Still had pink color to it. No signs of metal. I also had him put in a new output shaft speed sensor. With that said, I agree with you....very frustrating. I've got a tranny shop not too far from me that I may just bring it up to him and see if he can fix it. I don't think it needs rebuilding as there was no metal signs in the old fluid. I'll let you know how I make out.
Old 03-09-2017, 09:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by jeepingirl
I am having this same issue right now. Just got it back from fluid and trans filter kit change. The problem is still there. When the fluid (Dexron) got changed, mine was not that bad. Still had pink color to it. No signs of metal. I also had him put in a new output shaft speed sensor. With that said, I agree with you....very frustrating. I've got a tranny shop not too far from me that I may just bring it up to him and see if he can fix it. I don't think it needs rebuilding as there was no metal signs in the old fluid. I'll let you know how I make out.

What exactly is the "same issue"?

Do you have a Check Engine light on?
Old 03-11-2017, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by jeepingirl
That'd be great, thanks.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by CCKen
What exactly is the "same issue"?

Do you have a Check Engine light on?
My check engine light is on. PO700 comes up.