Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 Classic Blower/resistor/ clim control issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2012, 07:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default 98 Classic Blower/resistor/ clim control issue

Got a 98 classic, fact air, 6 cyl., Heater was stuck on high about a year. lived with it. Blower quit a few nights ago. replaced resistor and blower.. still nothing. checked and confirmed all good fuses. Replaced climate control switch panel. Still no blower. Idiot light tested the 7 wire clip going into clim. control. only 1 wire is showing power. Had 5 out of the 7 working just a day ago. autozone guy looked around and now i have only 1, 2 when i turn on lights. what the hell is going on? Storm coming tonight, already missed 2 days of work because of it, cant see out my windows the kids are COLD.... any help please. Thanks
Going Insane in Massachusetts
Old 12-28-2012, 07:19 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

Hopefully someone else chimes in, but I seem to remember somebody having a burned connector or wire someplace in the circuit. Might be worth a little searching in this forum.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee

I would start by checking resistance on your grounds. Ground is actually more important to keep in working order more than power because high resistance in a ground circuit WILL eventually burn out connectors (usually on the ground side), and also can burn out the load (blower, resistors etc...). Also you will need to make sure your power hasnt shorted to ground which will keep all loads from working. But that in most cases will blow the fuse.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

"Idiot light tested the 7 wire clip going into clim. control. only 1 wire is showing power. Had 5 out of the 7 working just a day ago. autozone guy looked around and now i have only 1, 2 when i turn on lights. what the hell is going on?"

A wiring diagram and a DMM are your friends, just guessing is futile. If you are not experienced in 12 volt electrical just cut your losses and take it to be serviced.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:30 AM

Default thanks

Ill search out here and see where i can find a wiring diagram. Looks like it will be a long day. I think i will bring it in on monday. Money is tight, just had the oops stork bring me and the wife some news.... oh dear god i dont want a mini-van
Old 12-30-2012, 08:40 AM

Default is there a Relay???????????

The wiring diagrams i have seached, some show a relay. I have one up near the heat exchange box, same wires seem to run to down to the resistor and then branch to blower. The stoner at autozone, check it using a battery.. said it was opening and closing. i opened the top of it and it smelled cooked to me. I have the entire dash off, i see nothing cooked. all grounds appear to be conected... do we have diagram here of where the are ALL located? thanks guys.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

So do you have 12 v @ the blower motor? When you replaced the dash mounted speed control was the connector fried? Have you located any defective wiring?
Old 12-30-2012, 01:21 PM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee

Originally Posted by 98ClassicRocker
The wiring diagrams i have seached, some show a relay. I have one up near the heat exchange box, same wires seem to run to down to the resistor and then branch to blower. The stoner at autozone, check it using a battery.. said it was opening and closing. i opened the top of it and it smelled cooked to me. I have the entire dash off, i see nothing cooked. all grounds appear to be conected... do we have diagram here of where the are ALL located? thanks guys.
Just because a relay clicks doesnt mean its good. The coil can be fine while the switched side can be bad
Old 12-30-2012, 04:00 PM

Default even more strange

Ok to answer your questions. No fired wires that i have found yet. nothing crunchy, melted or burnt. Blower motor old and new both had power when i jumped them to battery, but not at blower plug.

Ok new screwy stuff. For over a year i had a check engine light that I have lived with. Caused the shifting to be bad and popped and farted thru the motor like it was starving for gas after about 1 min of driving and would then clear up.

So last night we get 10 inches of snow, i run to the store (went nuts in 4x4 and had a freakin blast) with no heat blower, (this was after i had pulled the dash and wiggeled, tugged and pulled on wires under the dash.) the truck shifted fine.. no popping. Didnt notice the check engine light wasnt on. Today i noticed it off and the truck ran mint all day after starting and stopping several times. Still no blower, still no power to the 7 wire clip entering the climate control switch bank. WTH is going on with this thing? I love the fact that its running great now... but for the life of me cant figure out what the hell jeep did to these trucks. that something as simple as tugging or pushing wires fixes a year long issue....

I did replace the relay today... nothing turned on. Odd that i had power (bright idiot light) to the 7 wire clip one day, a few hours later had very dim idiot light on 5 of the 7 and then nothing on 5 of the 7 wire.

I am determined to figure this out, i may be frozen, but i have got to know why these trucks have these issues. I LOVE this rig, one of the best 4x4's ive ever owned, but hate this electrical issue.
Old 12-31-2012, 12:49 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

This is for a 1999 but may help you:

The electrical side of the climate control ***** is basically a massive ground plane. You definitely NEED a multimeter to check this stuff. You should see +12V on 6 pins (4 blower motor positions, 1 A/C sense from the ECU, and 1 lighting). C100 is a black connector living in the junction block in the passenger side kick panel, C201 is a 'natural' connector in the center console. Don't forget to check Fuse 25 in the junction block and fuse 6 in the PDC
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 AM

Default thanks again

going to finally have the time after work today to check this out. thanks for the diagram, im sure this will help out. Got a little better understanding of this after seeing it
Old 01-21-2013, 01:29 PM

Default 12 volts?

only got a ready of 12 volts in 2 pins.... stopped at garage to have them take a look at it. tell me it will be a week before they can get to it. Can i hot wire the blower? I see a green and black/tan stripe wire, which one would i add power to? more snow expected tonight, have a 60 mile drive in morning, without defrosters ill lose this job.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:59 PM

Default hot wired

hot wired for a temp fix thank guys for your help, trust me this has been a pain in the butt since xmas. i can tear a motor apart with one eye open, but when it comes to electrica l i might as well try becoming a brain surgeon, both have give me the same deer in head lights look on my face.
Old 01-21-2013, 03:29 PM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999

I doubt that you'll get this fixed by the morning. Maybe you could by a inverter (12 VDC to 115 VAC) and plug it in to your power outlet and use a hair dryer to defrost your windshield on the way to work, and dress warm. Just say'n bud.

Here's some images of the connectors, pinouts, and locations of the HVAC system shown in the Salad diagram (you actually need a schematic, not a diagram) that may help you along with diagnosing your problem.

Name:  BLOWERMOTOR_RESISTOR_BLOWERPINOPUT.jpg
Views: 586
Size:  65.0 KB

Name:  ACHeaterControl.jpg
Views: 541
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  HVCUNITCONNECTORPINOUT.jpg
Views: 511
Size:  51.6 KB

Name:  HVACUNITCONNECTOR.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  85.6 KB

Name:  jpgHVACUNITCONNECTORANDBLOWERRELAY.jpg
Views: 540
Size:  80.9 KB

Last edited by CCKen; 01-21-2013 at 03:32 PM.