Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

98 cherokee xj low oil press. while braking

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 08:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question 98 cherokee xj low oil press. while braking

Hoping its just the pick up tube?Do I just drop the pan and change the pump? Any suggestion to an aftermarket pump? Thanks for any advice
Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

Is oil at proper level? If low, hard braking will slosh oil to the front of the pan causing a momentary starvation/loss of oil to the pump.
Old 01-30-2012, 08:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes,even tried some lucas..just to see ...can I drop the pan with out messing with exhuast? The oil pump reminds me of an impeller on an outboard motor.Do you just change the impeller or distributer stuff tooo?
Old 01-31-2012, 12:06 AM
kjc
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Laredo

Originally Posted by DangeRussREDxj
Yes,even tried some lucas..just to see ...can I drop the pan with out messing with exhuast? The oil pump reminds me of an impeller on an outboard motor.Do you just change the impeller or distributer stuff tooo?
Umm.. is the oil pressure normal at idle? I know whenever i'm 'off the gas' my pressure drops slightly.. i figured it was due to lower engine rpm. I'd make sure your sending unit isn't just inaccurate.

You may need to remove the starter to drop the oil pan. The exhaust pipe too, maybe. I got mine off w/o touching the exhaust, but it was VERY tight. I had to unbolt the oil pump with the pan still hangin' under there before i could wriggle the pan out. (this on a '93 GC Laredo with a 4.0L) The oil pump shaft is driven by the bottom of the distributor shaft. I had my distributor already out, but it's easy to line up the oil pump to the dizzy, just a slotted affair.
If you do decide it's your oil pump, rebuilding it is easy and a bit cheaper. Really easy. And don't forget to fill up the new/rebuilt pump with oil before you bolt it in. They don't pump air well. I've read you can pack it with vasoline in there (shrug)